Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

3 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

This is the same old pattern we have been stuck in and will probably be stuck in the rest of the winter we get close to record breaking cold next week then we end up with this on FEB 4 and rain

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

Yeah those 240 hour forecasts have been spot on this season. Glad another rainstorm is definitely coming 

11 hours ago, kat5hurricane said:

The 30+ inches for 5 years straight isn't enough for you?  We're living in the Golden Era of snow, some of you expect 50+ inches every year as if it was the norm.

I get what you're saying as those were amazing winters but lets put this in perspective, we've been very spoiled.  Also, I personally loved '14-'15 the most outside of any year since '95-'96, that's as close to wall to wall winter as we could get here in the immediate NYC era. Snowcover for about 90 days straight, 6-10 inch type storms every week to refresh the pack, winter wonderland.  I do love my KU storms but I prefer '14-'15 with a bunch of cold, moderate to significant storms over '15-'16 with one blockbuster and little else.

2002-03 was also wall to wall or just about, 1995-96 and 2002-03 were our two best winters. 2010-11 cut off in February or it would have exceeded them all. 2009-10 would have been on the same level if we didn't get fringed in the early February storm and had the snow season continued into March. 1993-94 would have been with more all snow events rather than mixed and a 20" blockbuster in there. 2014-15 doesn't quite make the cut because the Jan 2015 wasn't all that great (Jan 2016 definitely made up for that) and the first half of winter was a dud and 2013-14 had too many mixed events.

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This winter might be the worst einter ever.

I mean we have to count the November snows but it'll definitely be up there with winters like 97/98, 01/02, 07/08, and 11/12. 

However when you factor in the bouts of high precip and arctic temps that didn't produce anything plus all those optimistic forecasts, then it feels a lot worse than those winters. 

Granted it's still Jan 26 so there's still a ways to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

This winter might be the worst einter ever.

42 minutes ago, TwcMan said:

Eff this winter. Worse one ever. Can’t wait to move to the Great Lakes in a few years. 

You guys wouldn't have made it through the 70's, 80's and 90's. Yeah we had a couple of storms but 4" was something to freak out about.

• Haha 1

Just now, gravitylover said:

You guys wouldn't have made it through the 70's, 80's and 90's. Yeah we had a couple of storms but 4" was something to freak out about.

I lived thru the 90’s. I remember 2”-4” events being a big deal. I’m not even mad at the fact that we can’t get a snowstorm if our lives depended on it this winter. What makes this worse than the other duds, is at least you knew those winters were gonna be duds ahead of time. This one is a huge tease. I’d rather know way before that we can’t get snow, rather than being teased. Also the “bad luck” moments happening at least twice when the pattern was conducive for snow, doesn’t make it any better.

4 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

I mean we have to count the November snows but it'll definitely be up there with winters like 97/98, 01/02, 07/08, and 11/12

Bold call.  Leaves zero margin for error, especially since we've already had more cold weather (fleeting or not) than those winters.  Basically we have to bust out into spring in the next day or two and stay there (which would be like the mentioned winters). 

• Like 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSCaribou/status/1089176722455609345

Record snowfall in Northern Maine! Caribou is at its snowiest January (50.1" so far) and snowiest season-to-date (101.9") on record. Concern rising for snow load on roof hazard. "Don't be aloof, clear the snow off your roof!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSCaribou/status/1089248700017332224

Huge variation in season-to-date snow between Northern and Southern New England! Caribou has record high 101.9", Boston has near-record low 1.8" (record low to date is 1.5")

24 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

So true---all I ever heard from meteorologists was how hard it was for it to snow in our area--surrounded by water was the chief issue

it was literally front page news by 91...what had happened to winter? And no it wasn't all that cold either, I was fishing by the end of Feb in the bay. Fishing was good too.  The Star Ledger asked, what had ever happened to snow? A Rutgers met said well ,the conditions haven't been right. For years? We thought about climate change long before this; we were hearing alarm bells in 1988. Imagine our shock at the 93 superstorm, which was a bit of a letdown by mixing here but it was still the biggest thing anyone had seen in a decade, and it was a wall of ice to boot. And imagine how ill prepared we all were for 94.