• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

I know we all enjoy storms and cold and all that, buuuuuutttt... this happens. This reminds me of my elementary school childhood. We've been so spoiled since 1994 (I know, I know, there have been some hateful clunkers in there) with cold and snow, we can't control it. 

I wish that we could have fun storms each and every year (just prior to Christmas would be nice), but life doesn't work like that. 

36 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

cutters galore though the 20th.   Most of January is gone.   Down to Feb and who knows about March....winter went to hell in a handbasket quick...

reverse psychology in action...……..:snowing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

Yeah. Once we start February, then we only have a few weeks of good sun angle.

This is hilarious. Prime snow season around here runs from about December 20th to about March 10th. Sun angle isn’t a problem if rates are strong enough, especially in March. By April it’s over but we have a long time to go before then. 

Compare this to declaring Summer over on July 3rd because the rest of July looks cool. Give it a rest.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This is hilarious. Prime snow season around here runs from about December 20th to about March 10th. Sun angle isn’t a problem if rates are strong enough, especially in March. By April it’s over but we have a long time to go before then. 

Compare this to declaring Summer over on July 3rd because the rest of July looks cool. Give it a rest.

Yeah. Most of February will be fine. The problem is that once we progress to late February into early March, we will need very heavy snow. If it's anything less than that, then we will have a March 2018 repeat. Most likely with less snowfall.

11 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

Yeah. Most of February will be fine. The problem is that once we progress to late February into early March, we will need very heavy snow. If it's anything less than that, then we will have a March 2018 repeat. Most likely with less snowfall.

agree-have to hope for a big 2nd half...

19 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

The problem this year is a general lack of arctic air in most of North America. It happens.

• Like 2

Just now, snowheavyattimes said:

I can’t believe that’s going to last the whole winter but of course anything is possible.

It's not. Some years we have the cold air but the storm track is unfavorable. 

Overall things are not bad at all. I am sure that at some point the colder air will make it to this hemisphere. 

40 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's not. Some years we have the cold air but the storm track is unfavorable. 

Overall things are not bad at all. I am sure that at some point the colder air will make it to this hemisphere. 

I think we will get the cold once the PV split works its way down to the surface. Question is will we get too much suppression for storms to come north with a strong -NAO likely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

First time ever I'm looking forward to a warm and dry winter. I had a pretty significant heart attack on Friday afternoon then a bunch of complications and I'm pretty much laid up for the next two months. No shoveling means I want no snow. Sorry all... :) 

Glad you're with us! If it does snow, enjoy it from your window.

• Like 1

This warmer weather is beating my busy time up this year. People just aren’t calling for heating issues. I was super busy from November to basically Christmas and now It’s gone quiet. I specialize in steam heating and hoping some cold will return. AC season doesn’t start for me for another 5 months.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

First time ever I'm looking forward to a warm and dry winter. I had a pretty significant heart attack on Friday afternoon then a bunch of complications and I'm pretty much laid up for the next two months. No shoveling means I want no snow. Sorry all... :) 

Upon full recovery you will be able to shovel again. One good life is more important than a wall to wall winter. Be. Well, as always ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rclab said:

Upon full recovery you will be able to shovel again. One good life is more important than a wall to wall winter. Be. Well, as always ....

I have to disagree there.   If there were stents involved, depending on age/weight etc, shoveling is most likely out forever.   Shoveling snow is very strenuous and fills the ER with heart attacks every time it snows

• Sad 1