Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

16 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Agreed.  Only problem for me is that over time I've come to much prefer a snowy meterological winter, followed by warmth in March/April (what we used to call springlike weather but what I think is better defined as mid springlike weather), over these winters that get a late start and make for miserably chilly March/Aprils.   Like most snow fans I'm always looking ahead, and a snowfall that sticks around during a post storm cold snap is the best.  93/94 was awesome for that, and even though 95/96 had its multiple warmups, that storm that hit a few days before Christmas and stuck around in the crisp cold for a week was great.  It's not the same when it falls in March/April.  Those are just as fun when they're happening, but they're a grey muddy sloppy mess 6 hours later.  I suppose the last ~15 years have spoiled me.   In the 80s I'd have taken any snowfall deep enough to cover the grass whenever I could get it.

Yeah theres a reason winters like 47-48 and 10-11 were our deepest snowcover winters.  To get true winter conditions like that for an extended period you typically need snowstorms to start happening around here beginning in late December (at the latest.)

2014-15 was an exception to that- but remember how truly exceptional that was- it wasn't even the snow that was historic for our area it was the -10 departure in February that made whatever snow fell, stay on the ground right through Mid March.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

We were a mini tornado alley this year. Good thing these are typically lower end events here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/splillo/status/1080178107515047944

they kind of missed us here in western Long Island.  1998 was our best severe wx year that I can remember, 2010 was up there too.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

All I can say is remember March 2018 :rolleyes:

We all thought Winter was over last February when temperatures soared into the 70's and the entire period was well above normal with little snowfall.

Then we hit March and suddenly the pattern locked in and we got hit four times in one month. 

I know the weenies want cold and snow from December to April but it's just not realistic. This isn't Green Bay.

Around here it was basically one event in March and one event in April.

It's why for urban areas the snow season usually shuts down at the end of February.  That late March event and the April event were really good though, but by far the best snowstorm that season happened in early January.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I remember people were excited about this winter because of a weak EL Nino.

That's why everyone went above normal snowfall wide and colder thab normal.

****ing mjo is screwing the pattern.

Aren’t you one of “those people?”  Haven’t you been preaching patience?   

Its not over yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Losing it

Don’t.   As much as I want winters to be snowless and warm, I do still recognize that out perception of this winter can change with one or two big storms, and also get us to seasonal averages.  

I hope winter is tame but it is still only January 3rd.   Lots can change

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

I remember people were excited about this winter because of a weak EL Nino.

That's why everyone went above normal snowfall wise and colder than normal.

****ing mjo is screwing the pattern.

temp forecasts for January are in big trouble, it will be difficult to erase the warmth of the first 15 days...December finished +2 to +3 depending on locale as well, much warmer than the consensus....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

On January 6 2018 , the temperature was 13 degrees.

On January 6 2019, the temperature will be 48 degrees.

Smfh

48 is much closer to normal (40) than 13.

Some winters don’t even get as cold as 13 for a low, last year’s cold was out of this world.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

the sensible weather is the same so far, warm and snowless...

lets forget ENSO for a second and lets just talk about years where we have had similar results up to now (up to now being the key point.)

1989-90

1997-98

2001-02

2011-12

2012-13

Taking out 2 and 3 early only because we didn't get the big early season snowstorm those seasons.  Granted even the three that remain aren't great matches (well 1989-90 isn't because of how dry and cold that December was.)  Overall, I think 2012-13 seems to be the best match so far and is the best compromise between the cold/snowy back end winters many are predicting and the mild snowless ones.  So I'll go with that one for now.  2011-12 comes in second which isn't a comforting thought but we should keep that one in the back of our minds for now.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

lets forget ENSO for a second and lets just talk about years where we have had similar results up to now (up to now being the key point.)

1989-90

1997-98

2001-02

2011-12

2012-13

Taking out 2 and 3 early only because we didn't get the big early season snowstorm those seasons.  Granted even the three that remain aren't great matches (well 1989-90 isn't because of how dry and cold that December was.)  Overall, I think 2012-13 seems to be the best match so far and is the best compromise between the cold/snowy back end winters many are predicting and the mild snowless ones.  So I'll go with that one for now.  2011-12 comes in second which isn't a comforting thought but we should keep that one in the back of our minds for now.

Eastern weenies would like a 12-13 redux....