Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm not sure that 1995-96 kind of winters are impossible yet, after all 2009-10 was a better winter in the mid atlantic and we missed out on surpassing our 1995-96 totals by about 50 miles or so :(

I just meant the duration of heavy snowfall beginning in November and occurring every month through April. If we are to reach those seasonal totals again, it may be over a shorter period. Even the bulk of  09-10 snowfall  to our south was during  a 55 day period from late December into mid-February. So it wasn’t a wall to wall snowfall season from late November through early April like ours in 95-96. November 09, March 10, and April 10 were very mild months without any big snowstorms unlike 95-96.

It took BWI only 55 days to reach 75.4” during the 09-10 winter.

It took NYC 134 days to reach 75.6 “ during the 95-96 extended season

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

The ICON is a trash model

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

So is the navgem

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

And the jma

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

So is that stupid French model

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

I'd legit use the Korean before any of those

Padding your post count I see. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted this yesterday on another forum.

Upcoming events for winter 2018/19

Jan 1st: Its only 10 days away

Jan 10th: Its only 10 days away

Jan 20th: Its only 10 days away (Back peddling begins)

Feb 1st: Its only 10 days away (Maybe)

Feb 10th: Silence

Feb 20th: More Silence

Mar 1st: Glimmer of Hope? (Probably not)

Mar 10th: Depression sets in (Grab your meds)

Mar 20th: Oh well see you next winter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bluewave said:

I just meant the duration of heavy snowfall beginning in November and occurring every month through April. If we are to reach those seasonal totals again, it may be over a shorter period. Even the bulk of  09-10 snowfall  to our south was during  a 55 day period from late December into mid-February. So it wasn’t a wall to wall snowfall season from late November through early April like ours in 95-96. November 09, March 10, and April 10 were very mild months without any big snowstorms unlike 95-96.

There was something really nice about 1995-96 that's going to be hard to replicate..... having a significant snow storm to track every month lol.  1995-96 may have had it all, the only one approaching it in that respect was 2002-03.  We didn't have the significant November storm that season, but we had snow in all the other months. 

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

There was something really nice about 1995-96 that's going to be hard to replicate..... having a significant snow storm to track every month lol.  1995-96 may have had it all, the only one approaching it in that respect was 2002-03.  We didn't have the significant November storm that season, but we had snow in all the other months. 

One of my biggest memories of the 02-03 winter was how long it took the northern edge of the snow to advance north with PD2. Some of our highest snow ratios with the leading edge of the storm. The other memory was heavy thunderstorms and pouring rain to heavy snow on Christmas. Probably my favorite winter from 99-00 to 08-09.

It only took Boston 20 days in 2015 to beat the NYC 95-96 snowfall totals.

Boston....82.8”...20 days....2015.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bluewave said:

One of my biggest memories of the 02-03 winter was how long it took the northern edge of the snow to advance north with PD2. Some of our highest snow ratios with the leading edge of the storm. The other memory was heavy thunderstorms and pouring rain to heavy snow on Christmas. Probably my favorite winter from 99-00 to 08-09.

It only took Boston 20 days in 2015 to beat the NYC 95-96 snowfall totals.

Boston....82.8”...20 days....2015.

Yes PD2 was like sugar pouring from the skies all night- it was absolutely amazing :)  I think it started snowing here just after sundown around 6-6:30 PM or so.  It actually reminded me of the amazing Feb 1983 blizzard which did the same thing and was the last time our area had an all-snow 24"+ snowstorm!

I also loved the heavy snowrates in the day time April 7, 2003 snowstorm which we also happened to jackpot just like the post Christmas and PD2 storms!

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was in college in Baltimore for that one. Stuck there over winter break for swimming. That one hurt. Smoked allot of cirrus...

How did that storm cut across Central Suffolk County and yet it was all snow on the south shore and no snow in eastern PA (Allentown and NE PA)?  Amazingly sharp cut off with very narrow area of heavy snow!

On 12/29/2018 at 7:11 AM, bluewave said:

NYC should probably have had 80"+ that year, I think they shortchanged us on the Jan 96 blizzard totals as well as the April snowstorm- we had 4-5" here in SW Nassau not the under 1" weird totals of NYC and LGA (JFK did measure that one right at 4.5")  I measured 83" here in SW Nassau for the seasonal total.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

How did that storm cut across Central Suffolk County and yet it was all snow on the south shore and no snow in eastern PA (Allentown and NE PA)?  Amazingly sharp cut off with very narrow area of heavy snow!

500 low and surface low aligned. So all you had to do was be on the left side of the storm track. Also excellent cold air entrainment with the CCB. And a really sharp cutoff to the SW. we had a dusting in Baltimore, and it’s not that far from philly. 

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

NYC should probably have had 80"+ that year, I think they shortchanged us on the Jan 96 blizzard totals as well as the April snowstorm- we had 4-5" here in SW Nassau not the under 1" weird totals of NYC and LGA (JFK did measure that one right at 4.5")  I measured 83" here in SW Nassau for the seasonal total.

That was one of those storms where the airmass was so marginal the urban heat island killed accumulations. 

On 12/30/2018 at 5:26 AM, LibertyBell said:

93-94. Not as much total snow as 96, but plenty of storms. And a couple of rare ice events to boot, and a massive sleet event in March. Plus the two mini blizzards in Feb. And I did all this with a stinkin shovel...

• Like 1