Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

18 minutes ago, Rjay said:

So have we decided yet if we want the sanitation department to be proactive or just let another surprise storm shut down the city?

Most of you guys have been very unreasonable about this topic.  

Rjay, just my opinion and Im all in favor of them being proactive and I wish they had been that in the last storm, It just seems to me that they are now being over reactive because of what happened last time , as most people here knew this would be a fairly non event

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

So have we decided yet if we want the sanitation department to be proactive or just let another surprise storm shut down the city?

Too much salt isn't just bad for cars, it's also bad for the environment.  It's a really fine line though.  The best option would be to simply stay home when the weather is bad like that.

6 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Rjay, just my opinion and Im all in favor of them being proactive and I wish they had been that in the last storm, It just seems to me that they are now being over reactive because of what happened last time , as most people here knew this would be a fairly non event

That first storm was a busted forecast.

Agree that they are overreacting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rjay said:

Their handling of this is coming across as more of a knee jerk reaction than proactive IMO. The government is very good at knee jerk reactions, I speak from personal experience. 

• Like 5

At least the event in mid-November was snow and not ice. While conditions are slick when snow  isn’t cleared, you still can get some traction. It was similar to the traffic jam in the surprise 1-23-87 snowstorm.

There still hasn’t been an event in recent years that can rival the slickness of the Jan 86 and 94 events. The late Jan 86 flash freeze produced the worst driving conditions I ever experienced on the Meadowbrook Parkway. It was the only time that I saw cars sliding down backwards into traffic where the Meadowbrook goes over the Southern State. The Jan 94 ice storm was the worst driving that I ever experienced in Long Beach. Cars were sliding sideways into the curbs when slowing for stops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

They fired a very high commissioner over storm.

Everybody is shaken after that

You don’t know what the mayor is going to do he is inept

CYA A good rule of thumb

Aw coming, give the guy a break...... he would have to actually be in the city to see what’s going on. Then again, maybe that’s a good thing.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

At least the event in mid-November was snow and not ice. While conditions are slick when snow  isn’t cleared, you still can get some traction. It was similar to the traffic jam in the surprise 1-23-87 snowstorm.

There still hasn’t been an event in recent years that can rival the slickness of the Jan 86 and 94 events. The late Jan 86 flash freeze produced the worst driving conditions I ever experienced on the Meadowbrook Parkway. It was the only time that I saw cars sliding down backwards into traffic where the Meadowbrook goes over the Southern State. The Jan 94 ice storm was the worst driving that I ever experienced in Long Beach. Cars were sliding sideways into the curbs when slowing for stops.

That was the only real ice storm I have experienced. I’ll never forget the next morning looking out my door and seeing the trees shinning. I have seen some good ice in Vermont since. 2 weekends ago there was a decent ice storm above 2000’. A real birch bender with some of the trails at Stratton blocked by bent over trees. It’s only a matter of time until we see a major crippling ice storm. That’s the one extreme weather event we haven’t had in recent years.

10 hours ago, Rjay said:

Well I'm sure we all would prefer them to be proactive.  However, at least IMO, being proactive is a lot different than flat out wasting.  Especially with that minuscule squall that came through before Thanksgiving, it was not necessary to have the roads dumped on with salt.

46 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That was the only real ice storm I have experienced. I’ll never forget the next morning looking out my door and seeing the trees shinning. I have seen some good ice in Vermont since. 2 weekends ago there was a decent ice storm above 2000’. A real birch bender with some of the trails at Stratton blocked by bent over trees. It’s only a matter of time until we see a major crippling ice storm. That’s the one extreme weather event we haven’t had in recent years.

Yeah, that was the most severe ice storm for us in the last 30 years. While the Jan 78 ice storm wasn’t as bad in Long Beach, it was similar to Jan 94 in places like Wantagh. 

How about the Valentines Day sleet storm? I believe 07 or 06.

Still an “ice” storm. :)

That has to be the best sleet stom I ever saw in NYC and came at the tail end of a quiet winter.

But I do remember the 94 ice storm. Set the basis for a great winter! I was in 7th grade and never fell as much before or after as I did that year!

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

How about the Valentines Day sleet storm? I believe 07 or 06.

Still an “ice” storm. :)

That has to be the best sleet stom I ever saw in NYC and came at the tail end of a quiet winter.

But I do remember the 94 ice storm. Set the basis for a great winter! I was in 7th grade and never fell as much before or after as I did that year!

I got some freezing rain in LB with the Valentine’s Day storm. But it was a much smaller ice accretion than 94. The sleet accumulation in spots was impressive. 

There was also a surprise freezing drizzle event on a Sunday morning several years ago that created very hazardous driving conditions. 

Maybe Uncle has some memories of the December 73 ice storm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

I got some freezing rain in LB with the Valentine’s Day storm. But it was a much smaller ice accretion than 94. The sleet accumulation in spots was impressive. 

There was also a surprise freezing drizzle event on a Sunday morning several years ago that created very hazardous driving conditions. 

1973 I remember that one...I was looking  out the front door at night and heard  a loud cracking  noise. Our big mamosa  tree split down the middle from the weight of the ice. We didn't want to lose the tree so my dad ( who could fix anything) made these two big metal brackets which we bolted together around the trunk...it worked and the tree lived many  more years with the bark growing over the brackets. Memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, doncat said:

1973 I remember that one...I was looking  out the front door at night and heard  a loud cracking  noise. Our big mamosa  tree split down the middle from the weight of the ice. We didn't want to lose the tree so my dad ( who could fix anything) made these two big metal brackets which we bolted together around the trunk...it worked and the tree lived many  more years with the bark growing over the brackets. Memories.

My two big weather memories from that era are Agnes and the December 74 Nor’easter. Agnes flooded out my old LB basement apartment with its torrential downpour. December 74 was my first big coastal flooding event in Long Beach with hurricane force wind gusts. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

My two big weather memories from that era are Agnes and the December 74 Nor’easter. Agnes flooded out my old LB basement apartment with its torrential downpour. December 74 was my first big coastal flooding event in Long Beach with near hurricane force wind gusts. 

That was the day I was born. I believe still the highest wind gust reported at central park, at least up til Sandy. I always heard how the ambulance couldn't make it up the hill to the hospital with the icy roads, wind, rain, sleet everything.

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

The Jan 1994 icestorm was historic and the greatest such event I have ever witnessed with over 1 inch of ice!  The VD 2007 event was mostly sleet with some freezing rain towards the end and the St Paddy's Day 2007 storm was even more sleet than that.

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

That was the day I was born. I believe still the highest wind gust reported at central park, at least up til Sandy. I always heard how the ambulance couldn't make it up the hill to the hospital with the icy roads, wind, rain, sleet everything.

I wasnt around for Dec 1974 but I find it hard to believe any noreaster could be worse than Dec 1992, whole towns were underwater with that for 3 days!  Still the greatest noreaster I've ever experienced.  Its impact dwarfed the "Superstorm" that occurred the following March for our area.

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I wasnt around for Dec 1974 but I find it hard to believe any noreaster could be worse than Dec 1992, whole towns were underwater with that for 3 days!  Still the greatest noreaster I've ever experienced.  Its impact dwarfed the "Superstorm" that occurred the following March for our area.

92 also lasted 3 days from start to finish with some snow on the backend

14 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

That is some story. It produced The 2nd biggest snowstorm in Detroit history. We wound up on the warm side of the storm. I can remember all the sand pushed up onto the streets from the coastal flooding near the beach. 

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/dtwsnowstorm

Wind Records (Peak Gusts in MPH)
Central Park (1951-pres.)
ENE 78 mph
December 2, 1974

The Battery
 113+ mph
October 14, 1954

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 12:13 AM, Rjay said:

Ehh, shut it down ;)  In reality I'm so sick of the extreme amounts of salt and brine that are used and the ensuing damage that I'd rather see them say something to the effect of 'if you go out and have a problem you're on your own.' In January 94 when I lived in Tahoe we got north of 400" in a 35 day stretch. There were times where moving about was nearly impossible, they plowed what they could, cindered and sanded the rest but not a touch of salt anywhere. In all of the years that I lived in CO there was never a hint of salt being used, we would go months without seeing pavement other than in low traffic private parking lots that got plowed down to the ground every time it snowed. We either went out knowing that the proverbial isht could hit the fan or we didn't go out. Enough with all the salt...

On 12/14/2018 at 10:12 AM, bluewave said:

A huge part of the traffic problems we see is people have absolutely the wrong tires on their cars for winter travel. Many sporty cars come with tires that are useless when the temp goes below 40*, forget it if there's even a hint of snow. The others come with tires that are essentially LRR so the car company can bump their fleet average 1-2mpg, these are also useless in the winter. Then when it comes time to replace them people go with the same or similar rather than something more appropriate for where they live or more commonly they are driving around on nearly bald tires. 

I wasn't here for either of those two but at least up here in Putnam County we've had numerous ice storms over the last few years. I think it was 97 (98?) where the entirety of upstate NY, most of New England and a fair chunk of Quebec and Ontario were devastated by a massive ice storm.

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

There was a storm in the 20s that 4” fall as frozen I believe mostly as sleet. Talk about the ultimate sleet storm!

We've had way more sleet than that here several times in the last 10 years. We had 10" of pure sleet in one of the end of 2010 storms and then the first storm in '11 was also pure sleet. I'll never forget spending almost the whole night outside keeping the driveway passable because it would get so heavy and difficult to move after it accumulated it was better to just keep up with it.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

That is some story. It produced The 2nd biggest snowstorm in Detroit history. We wound up on the warm side of the storm. I can remember all the sand pushed up onto the streets from the coastal flooding near the beach. 

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/dtwsnowstorm

Wind Records (Peak Gusts in MPH)
Central Park (1951-pres.)
ENE 78 mph
December 2, 1974

The Battery
 113+ mph
October 14, 1954

I remember the sand in my grandparents street in Belle Harbor being at least a foot deep at their house which was 10 or 11 up from the beach. We went the day after the storm and because their driveway was slightly dropped below the street level it was more than halfway up the tires on my grandfathers Olds 98 and me and my dad had to dig the car out so he could go to work. When we left we tried to take some of the streets along the beach to see if it was like that further towards Far Rockaway but had to head further inland because the beach streets were impassable.

• Like 1