Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10 Storm Obs

John1122

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Interesting that Mt Leconte only picked up 6 inches because they changed to sleet for a long time. At what mb would do that to them?

A warm layer just below 700mb. What a wonky system. I'm not even sure where they all were. At one point it was 33 and raining here while it was upper 30s and snowing east of here. It's going to be a favorite for some on the board and one of the all time let downs for others. I'm probably done now with 1.5 inches. Crazy that every model showed a much earlier change and missed by totals by 6-8 inches even as the event was underway. I've never seen such a micro screw job as what happened to Blunderstorm though.

Wow, I was just outside looking to my north and saw a wall of white half a mile away. This isn't the kind of white fade you see that is gradual it is almost instant. I believe I see an extremely sharp gradient between wintry mix and 100% heavy wet snowfall.  All it has to do is advance half a mile south and I could finally, finally, see a transition. Weather variation doesn't get much more localized than this folks.

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

The southern half of CC appears to be doing better than the northern half. So hopefully Runman is doing well. There are areas just north of me that have nothing.

I just got my internet working again. I got about 2 inches. It was a letdown when you consider what we could have potentially had, but I'm happy to get at least that much to start out the winter.

Winding down.now with 4.5in. This was a crazy system for sure. Reminds me of a few years ago when that system came through and was supposed to be all rain and it was snow here in the valley. However, somehow a warm nose developed in the foothills and mtns. And they ended up with mostly rain. This one was obviously different, but strange for sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

Wondering if Carvers lost power. Friends in Kingsport did hours ago. They’re getting absolutely rocked. Meanwhile, moderate snow continues here. Looks like 2.5”.

It went off and came back on thankfully.  I will be pleasantly surprised if we have juice by tomorrow.  We get knocked off line with most decent severe or winter events.  Most of the neighborhood is out.  We have been out sledding. Perfect snow for it.  I thought it would be sloppy...but it is pretty good powder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

I was just shy of 10" before this last band of snow.  I think we likely made it.  I will go confirm it in a minute.  We think the "house record" (where we live now) was set during the 09-10 Rush Hour Snowstorm.

Well, right now the weather is in it's finest hour up here. It's making a final push against the downslope. I just got a heavy burst of almost entirely snow. So it's not a total loss.

• Like 1

Congrats from the Central forum to those of you that got snow.  Most of us over this way missed out so we are jealous.  But happy for our friends to the east.  

Some of us in NE OK and NW AR haven’t seen measurable snow since 2014.  That’s pretty hard to fathom   

Still plenty of winter to go and snow this early has to be a good sign.  

Again, congrats!!!! 

• Like 3

I was just shy of 10" before this last band of snow.  I think we likely made it.  I will go confirm it in a minute.  We think the "house record" (where we live now) was set during the 09-10 Rush Hour Snowstorm.

That’s awesome, man. I’m thrilled for you. Kingsport/Sullivan Co. is a very feast or famine spot.

Just noticed the official total at KTRI is now 9.3”, breaking the all-time single-day record for December.

Also this:
1145 AM SNOW 2 WNW MOUNT CARMEL 36.57N 82.69W
12/09/2018 M11.0 INCH HAWKINS TN TRAINED SPOTTER
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

Seeing photos from the northern part of the county and it’s a different world than here. Also seeing that there are several accidents along 81.

I forget which model/run it was, but I made a comment about it wanting to wipe the 81 corridor off the map. As it turns out, that was somewhat accurate...lol.

Agree Blue Ridge. Driving 5 miles out of Greeneville on hwy 11E toward Johnson City was crazy. It’s amazing the difference in snow totals from my house to there. I believe downsloping really got the foothills. When folks I work with complain about the weather forecasters and snow calls...I always tell them you don’t understand how difficult our topography makes it to forecast snow in our region. Hats off to the folks on the forum for the knowledge you all share and to our local Mets who have a difficult job this time of year.

• Like 4

Snow has finally stopped and this has been the biggest single snowfall since I started tracking these things around 08-09.

12.5”

The rates were around 2” for 4 hours or so and we never changed back to any mixed precip. Power will be out for a long time I’m afraid. Cell phone coverage is poor in my area as well. I have done several Jeb walks today lol

Breezy winds weren’t helping the situation. I watched several limbs and branches fall. Even watched half a tree hit some lines but they stayed up.

• Like 4