• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Storm Obs

John1122

I'm measuring 5 to 6 inches so far outside. 2 to 3" of that is probably from all the heavy sleet/graupel that fell pre dawn. Moderate snow at the moment with brief periods of heavy when a strong band comes through. Looking at radar, 10+ may be a real possibility now. Perhaps even a foot. Trees are bending down. Worried we will lose power.

• Like 2

Sitting just north of 7" of snow at the moment.  I am telling you, it is doing a job on the trees around here.   I tried shaking the snow off of the ones that I could.  There are two sections of my neighborhood already without power.  

Current observations:  light to moderate snow, 32F, light winds(but noticeable)

• Like 4

super heavy snow in louisville tn, just north of tys. Conditions went downhill very quickly. Went out in the jeep around 830am to mostly sleet with rain and trace snow. Switched to incredibly heavy snow by 9, over 1 inch on elevated surfaces, roads covered in very slick snow/sleet. Many smaller cars are now stuck! That escalated quickly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sitting just north of 7" of snow at the moment.  I am telling you, it is doing a job on the trees around here.   I tried shaking the snow off of the ones that I could.  There are two sections of my neighborhood already without power.  
Current observations:  light to moderate snow, 32F, light winds(but noticeable)

Around 8” now here. 2” hour rates are very rare. Big tree crashed somewhere close by 15 minutes ago and the power is gone. What an incredible storm.
  • Thanks 1

At my house in Greeneville, measuring 3/4 of an inch on deck. Disappointing here but I always knew we would be on the fence compared to TRI. I’m about to head out for a drive in a little bit to check other areas around. I guarantee the northern end of Greene County has done much better than I have. Congrats to all who’ve cashed in on the snow.

• Like 1

Just now, 1234snow said:

Around 8” now here. 2” hour rates are very rare. Big tree crashed somewhere close by 15 minutes ago and the power is gone. What an incredible storm.

Not good.  I would have liked your post but I think I am out of likes for the day?  Didn't know there was a limit.   Anyway, I suspect this is going to be a mess for the power company to get fixed.  After the storms this summer, it took several days to get the entire grid back up.  Do you all have a back-up heat source?

• Like 2

Not good.  I would have liked your post but I think I am out of likes for the day?  Didn't know there was a limit.   Anyway, I suspect this is going to be a mess for the power company to get fixed.  After the storms this summer, it took several days to get the entire grid back up.  Do you all have a back-up heat source?

Yes, I have gas logs! Thank goodness. Radar looks very good. 12”+ looks very obtainable
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vol Man said:

Just remeasured... up to 8 inches, and pretty heavy rates with increase in wind right now

Where are you located, VolMan?  Seems some of those against the mountains have seen less, but those toward Kingsport have seen the heaviest.

The models that showed the mountain shadow and the enhancements toward Sullivan seem to have done well.

About 1 inch down, probably the 2nd most disappointing weather event I've seen unfold here in a long time. Will have to see if we can pick up any additional accumulation this morning. Will be fighting the fact that it's day time the rest of the day. Hard to see that pounding rain for hours on end. Change over was 4 hours behind vs what was modeled.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

At my house in Greeneville, measuring 3/4 of an inch on deck. Disappointing here but I always knew we would be on the fence compared to TRI. I’m about to head out for a drive in a little bit to check other areas around. I guarantee the northern end of Greene County has done much better than I have. Congrats to all who’ve cashed in on the snow.

Hey Waltrip, same story here just south and east of downtown. Seeing moderate snow now, but temp has inched up to 34.2. Looking like around 1.5” now.

28 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Where are you located, VolMan?  Seems some of those against the mountains have seen less, but those toward Kingsport have seen the heaviest.

The models that showed the mountain shadow and the enhancements toward Sullivan seem to have done well.

Indian Springs....just outside of Kingsport....yes, the models seemed to have done well, at least some of them. It will be interesting to do a debrief later and compare results vs. different models.

Admittably things have got a little better over many hours in terms of the snowfall mixed it. This storm just made model watching a lot less fun. It had to find a way for it not to snow here and the answer was downslope. Looking back to Winter Storm Jonas it seems like I had a similar issue with incessant sleet after a quick burst of snow. It did this for many hours and I could not figure out why. It would seem I finally discovered the biggest weakness in my micro-climate towards getting a snowstorm. The Nam 3km and HRRR nailed this effect on the head and deserve credit for depicting this area of graupel. Global models and mid range models failed to pick up on the "screw over zone" because their resolution was too low. With that said even the short range models failed to show the true extent of this mess. My only hope towards any redemption of this tragedy is if the 2nd wave of this system is stronger than forecast and further north than forecast. In it's case the winds have shifted direction and no longer give me downslope of epic scale.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

How often does Kingsport outdo you ??? Lol

Yeah, I really took this one on the chin and it's driving me up a wall. I mean I'm happy for you guys in TRI but at the same time I'm thinking..."shoulda been mine dang it!" haha.