Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

5 minutes ago, kelani said:

Just measured between 16"-19" IMBY - Lenoir, Caldwell County NC.   Finally! A NC snowstorm that lived up to the hype. 

She's a beaut, Clark.

Some rain here at the end has compacted and moistened my snow. There's also about an inch of slush under the snow. I won't be shoveling it, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

In the open area in front of our cabin, sticks are anywhere between 17-22", but 18-19" were the most consistent.  The closest report to me is 17.5" as of 12:50pm and accumulating type wen on for about an hour after that.  Solid plates are still falling as super saturation aloft is lost.  Hoping for a 1-3" backend bonus.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

In the open area in front of our cabin, sticks are anywhere between 17-22", but 18-19" were the most consistent.  The closest report to me is 17.5" as of 12:50pm and accumulating type wen on for about an hour after that.  Solid plates are still falling as super saturation aloft is lost.  Hoping for a 1-3" backend bonus.  

Probably more than that...as this has seemed to be an over-performer

picked up 3.25 inches of melted snow. 

low was 32.7. Never expected anything here except at most maybe a tree top glaze but that was  a degree warmer than i thought...in fact temps in general were a degree warmer across ga than i thought they'd get and probably 2 or 3 degrees warmer in the northern upstate...figured they'd get to 29 or 30. 

Can't be said enough that dry air makes the difference but  it also hurt that the band of precip that spread across ga and sc didn't fall in north carolina instead. If it had fell across nc, it would have allowed them to wetbulb down and  keep them cold, and  that air would have eventually made it's way south. Instead, they warmed up quite a bit saturday and the rest is history.  But i don't think anyone should feel robbed out of an ice storm, if it had been a few degrees colder with these winds and amounts, it would have been a disaster. 

• Like 1

Light freezing rain on top of 12” of snow and 30F in GSO.

I took a short drive in the truck and the roads are pretty bad. (Obviously.) Neighborhood streets are impassable for most vehicles and main roads are rough. Only one lane each direction on Friendly and still slick after plowing. High snow banks from the plows leading onto neighborhood streets.

14 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Light freezing rain on top of 12” of snow and 30F in GSO.

I took a short drive in the truck and the roads are pretty bad. (Obviously.) Neighborhood streets are impassable for most vehicles and main roads are rough. Only one lane each direction on Friendly and still slick after plowing. High snow banks from the plows leading onto neighborhood streets.

Yeah, road are horrible. Took my Subaru Forester out for a couple of drives and most roads were barely passable. It's going to be bad for a couple of days, to say the least. Kids probably won't go to school all week, if I were to guess.

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic