Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,394
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX
    Joined
Amos83

December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Same here I just measured 2 and a quarter on an elevated metal staircase. Never expected the flake size, duration and just heavy banding to setup over me. In fact I drove my wife's car to work instead of my truck because i never expected snow covered roads.

@shaggy & @Downeastnc eyeballing Radar, ya'll look to have yet another Super heavy band incoming..

Peeking outside for a bit..  See a "super heavy" Semi-melted Flake falling every now & then..  I think I've bottomed out on Temps setting @ 36F with a Dew point of 33F

Winds have "switched" to the NE now at 15 mph.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I posted part of RAH's discussion in the storm thread, but when we do transition its looking like an ice storm (> .25" of freezing rain). :(

I'm luckier than you there. I am going to just plain rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeezing rain is still falling and about .25” on the trees. The snow and sleet has completely glazed over in the yards and street. Looks like there are quite a few outages around Habersham and Rabun Counties on the ga power website. So I would say that  NE GA is having a pretty significant ice storm right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NEGa said:

Feeezing rain is still falling and about .25” on the trees. The snow and sleet has completely glazed over in the yards and street. Looks like there are quite a few outages around Habersham and Rabun Counties on the ga power website

I feel bad for any damage, but I bet that's beautiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SENC said:

@shaggy & @Downeastnc eyeballing Radar, ya'll look to have yet another Super heavy band incoming..

Peeking outside for a bit..  See a "super heavy" Semi-melted Flake falling every now & then..  I think I've bottomed out on Temps setting @ 36F with a Dew point of 33F

Winds have "switched" to the NE now at 15 mph.. 

Yeah its gonna take heavy rates to switch us back if it's even possible to go back to snow now. Certainly happy with my 2.5 inches of snow. Very impressive band we were in for a storm that really was borderline for us.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad & Happy everyone "cashed-in" on this one, really enjoying the pictures so far..

Oh, so close for Us down here on the Coast.. Hopefully We can catch a "backside" Wiff.. Local NWS is calling for it later on.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Poimen said:

Intense band rolling through currently. Straight up thumping outside right now.

Nice!  Looks like I might get one more hour of snow down here in NW Randolph County.  Look to have 3-4 inches.  I hope that I hold on to sleet as long as possible before the freezing rain sets in.  Looks to be about .25 inches of ice coming just south and east of the Triad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NEGa said:

Feeezing rain is still falling and about .25” on the trees. The snow and sleet has completely glazed over in the yards and street. Looks like there are quite a few outages around Habersham and Rabun Counties on the ga power website. So I would say that  NE GA is having a pretty significant ice storm right now

It is actually, esp with the ground covered in sleet/snow.  I am one of the apparent few who likes all types of winter storms including freezing rain. Grew up in ga and ice after snow is not uncommon at all - I think it’s been a great storm for this area so far. Am amazed the models picked it up so early. From what I saw most of the week it is what I expected. With a CAD event I didn’t fall for the amounts of snow the models showed during the week lol. CAD screams ice for ne ga anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NEGa said:

It is actually, esp with the ground covered in sleet/snow.  I am one of the apparent few who likes all types of winter storms including freezing rain. Grew up in ga and ice after snow is not uncommon at all - I think it’s been a great storm for this area so far. Am amazed the models picked it up so early. From what I saw most of the week it is what I expected. With a CAD event I didn’t fall for the amounts of snow the models showed during the week lol. CAD screams ice for ne ga anyway

I said something similar a couple days ago on here that I’d take .10 ZR after snow, which isn’t uncommon.  Enough to coat everything and looks awesome in the light but not really enough to be damaging.  Stay safe down there and hopefully it doesn’t get much worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to measure again in about 10 minutes. I'm curious to see how much has accumulated in the last hour. I'm guessing somewhere between 1.5-2." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yotaman said:

Nothing but very cold rain here. 39/37 Congrats to those who have snow.

 

Same here @yotaman, @36F here, Wet-COLD & Fugly outside, thinking about a Steaming Pot of Chili today..  congrats to ALL upstate that cashed in! Post LOTSA Pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Poimen said:

I'm going to measure again in about 10 minutes. I'm curious to see how much has accumulated in the last hour. I'm guessing somewhere between 1.5-2." 

You dealing with a lot of drifting? I had a hard time getting a solid measurement because of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When was the last time everyone had a major snow storm?

School will most likely be out for a while down south.

Up here , 8+ inches cancels school lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×