• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

12 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Looks like the snow/ice line did shift south (looking at the radar). HRRR was right.

moving back north again and is within 10-15 miles of me now :fulltilt:

HRRR did much better with temps and ptypes......NAM gave us .5" of slush with temps in the mid 30's...HRRR had us with 2-4" and temps down to 33 though we are at 31 now....either way Ididnt expect to see the roads covered, usually you don't get big fatties for hrs on end but tonight we have.....being on the edge pays off sometimes....

Latest HRRR run has us with 3 more hrs of snow and 2" more.....though that line on CC is getting damn close 10-15 miles south of town but it does seem to have slowed again....

• Like 1

after some sleet and a lull in precipitation snow is picking back up again.. which i didn't expect. the HRRR was on to something here

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm ~5" now. I keep staying in the heavy band and it is piling up. I state the other day that if I could get 5" I would call it a win. So this is a win..

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

If you believe the HRRR, I still have 7-8 more inches to pile on.

Glad you are cashing in with this on QC 

8 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm ~5" now. I keep staying in the heavy band and it is piling up. I state the other day that if I could get 5" I would call it a win. So this is a win..

Same here I just measured 2 and a quarter on an elevated metal staircase. Never expected the flake size, duration and just heavy banding to setup over me. In fact I drove my wife's car to work instead of my truck because i never expected snow covered roads.

20 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

If you believe the HRRR, I still have 7-8 more inches to pile on.

Glad you guys are cashing in up there!  Looked so promising here but only snowed about an hour then went to sleet and freezing rain.  Going to be borderline here of a lot of ice or not much of anything when it’s all done. 

45 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Just measured 4" on the snow board here off Piney Grove. 

My 2” measurement was obviously a misplaced snow board, as I’m at 4-5” through out my yard. 

• Like 1

Nice storm!  I’m glad you guys are cashing in.  I drove up to Greenville and a bit north from there.  Ran into some very slushy and snowy roads before calling it and turning around.  I got a quick snow fix!  I’m pulling for y’all to keep piling it on ring up some big numbers. 

A little over 6.5 inches now in Valdese just east of Morganton. And coming down nicely but the wind is picking up here. Would not be shocked if we close out around 10 or 11.

• Like 1

Been sleeting about 2 hours. Ground and other surfaces covered. Heavy(large) sleet now with some flakes mixing in. 

And just like that its mostly rain/sleet with a few flakes the HRRR actually has that mix for this hr and then pushes snow in here for a few more hrs around 7am but usually once we flip to rain its ballgame....if it gets that flip back to snow for a few hrs right that will be damn impressive.....

We'll call it 2 inches of slush and 33 °F on Main street in Franklin. Almost not enough for a snowplow to bother scraping. 

Still, almost 5,000 are out of power in Macon County. When I went out on a Jeb Walk around midnight, the transformers popping in the distance was something to see. The snow must be deeper elsewhere in the county.

I took this just after midnight.

20181208_235847 amwx lores.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I finally came out of that death band (boo), but it's still coming down nicely. 

I just switched over to mostly rain as that CC line ran north. Hrrr says it drops south again but doubt that happens. Was a blast while it lasted.

Just woke up to popping - power is out and trees/limbs are falling. Still have freezing rain falling with gust winds. Looks like the entire neighborhood is out

• Sad 2

Just now, shaggy said:

I just switched over to mostly rain as that CC line ran north. Hrrr says it drops south again but doubt that happens. Was a blast while it lasted.

I'm happy you guys down east were able to get something. HRRR did great. 

4 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Picked up another inch in the last hour. 5" here so far. Moderate snow. 

If we can keep these rates until noon, we’ll be well into double digits  

Wind driven snow continues dumping at an impressive clip on the Guilford/Forsyth county line between Kernersville and Oak Ridge. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I'm happy you guys down east were able to get something. HRRR did great. 

Yeah it certainly outperformed the nam and rgem with temps for sure. Even the fv3 had us for higher totals of course it was way overdone as it was calling for 6 to 8 inches.

Now we see what that transition line does for you guys.....hope it holds off for a while.

1 minute ago, weatherheels said:

If we can keep these rates until noon, we’ll be well into double digits  

Wind driven snow continues dumping at an impressive clip on the Guilford/Forsyth county line between Kernersville and Oak Ridge. 

yep. And previous runs of the HRRR suggests we  may be able to keep it snow through 18-19Z. 

1 minute ago, shaggy said:

Yeah it certainly outperformed the nam and rgem with temps for sure. Even the fv3 had us for higher totals of course it was way overdone as it was calling for 6 to 8 inches.

Now we see what that transition line does for you guys.....hope it holds off for a while.

I posted part of RAH's discussion in the storm thread, but when we do transition its looking like an ice storm (> .25" of freezing rain). :(

• Sad 2