Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I can't wait to see the official snowfall map for this system and see the cutoff for zilch a mile from my house.

My stepson and his family live near you.  He just sent a video expressing his dissapointment at missing out on this storm.  He's got a eighteen month old girl who he was dying to get out and play in the snow with.  It's funny how just a few miles can make a world of difference between rain and snow but that's winter weather in the TarHeel state.  Odds are you will get in on the action later on in the Winter season.

5 hours ago, WeatherNC said:

Picked up about 3" of trailing vort bonus snow and still coming down at a good clip.  We had a couple hours of freezing drizzle yesterday evening and that coated the trees, really helping this wetter snow stick to everything.  Yardstick on the deck is at 20".

I am sure you have already posted this, but what was the final total up there? Hoping you ended up in a great spot! 

We finished off with 14 inches of snowfall/sleet IMBY.  There were light snow showers interspersed with drizzle this morning, but nothing that amounted to much.  The temp rose above freezing around 5 PM last evening, and it has yet to fall back below.  It has made light work for the plows, not having to fight the frozen tundra.  The back deck has diminished to 9 inches due to melting and sublimation.  Tonight should be a hard freeze, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowDeac said:

How much has compacted/washed away for you North Raleigh/Durham folks? Congrats, and stay safe on the roads once the refreezes start. I think the next two mornings will be the most dangerous part of the storm for you guys, and others.

Yards and neighborhood roads still buried in E Durham, but we got snow literally all morning. 

1 hour ago, SnowDeac said:

How much has compacted/washed away for you North Raleigh/Durham folks? Congrats, and stay safe on the roads once the refreezes start. I think the next two mornings will be the most dangerous part of the storm for you guys, and others.

The rain yesterday didn’t help much. We had 9” but we only had about 4” when it stopped.  We got another inch this morning though so that helped some.

2 hours ago, Rankin5150 said:

I am sure you have already posted this, but what was the final total up there? Hoping you ended up in a great spot! 

20" was the measurement this morning after the back-end bonus stopped.  We had 18-19" yesterday and picked up another 4" this morning.  With compaction 20" was the most uniform measurement.  Back safely in Greenville, 421-40 were not bad, primary hazard is idiots driving with mini icebergs on their cars.

DuBWzDNW0AE6tfH.thumb.jpg.413cef4a99b15e4b0d0611733cc03cde.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NWS RaleighVerified account @NWSRaleigh 1m1 minute ago

A light batch of mixed wintry precip may develop east of I-95 this evening. Amounts will be light, but even a light coating of snow/sleet on the roads can create travel difficulties. If traveling in this area this evening be alert for quickly changing road conditions. #ncwxDuFiHvxXgAEiIrz.jpg

36 minutes ago, Solak said:

NWS RaleighVerified account @NWSRaleigh 1m1 minute ago

A light batch of mixed wintry precip may develop east of I-95 this evening. Amounts will be light, but even a light coating of snow/sleet on the roads can create travel difficulties. If traveling in this area this evening be alert for quickly changing road conditions. #ncwxDuFiHvxXgAEiIrz.jpg

Yeah hoping the last run of the HRRR is right gives us a inch or so and with temps getting below freezing that would probably stick fairly well....now I just need it to be a bit stronger than forecast if I can grab 2" tonight that would give us 6" total for the 2 systems and put us at 100% of average for the winter.....before winter even starts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gman said:

Local Mets saying future radar shows snow in the Upstate tonight around 9:00. Temps need to drop drastically for that to happen. 

Yeah, not going to happen. Not sure about column temps but surface is 37 here. Looks like a pretty big batch so could be a few inches if all snow, but I think all its gonna do is wash away the little remaining snow.:cry:

• Confused 1

• jburns unpinned this topic