Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

15 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Do we have any updated idea on duration/intensity for Charlotte? Snowing pretty good near Park Road Shopping Center, but radar looks more impressive to SW/NE. Are a couple of the models showing 2-3 inches still to be believed? My fiance is trying to make a call on opening her store at noon or not at all.

ETA: of the short range models, the RGEM looks to be matching up the closest with actual radar returns. Hopefully others are seeing that too, and I'm not just wishcasting.

I'm guessing another hour or so, but the roads seem very passable in town.  My wife and daughter are itching to go shopping today and Park Road is on their agenda. They'll be headed out to whatever is open, so I'm guessing other folks will be too.

What type of shop does your fiancé have?

2 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

WRAL calling for potential of 2-4 inches in Triangle until around lunch before changing back to rain and temps plummet after sundown.  May see some more light snow tonight but not definite on that yet.

Wonder why it will change back to rain when the upper low comes through?  Are they expecting the surface to warm?

All snow in downtown Raleigh now, it looks like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

Even if this storm was a lot more sleet than I wanted, at least Charlotte has had winter weather accumulate on 3 consecutive days by December 10th. Not sure if that has ever happened before.

absolutely. if we add another inch or so today we are talking close to 4" on december 10th! insane. if we get another storm or 2 before the end of winter we could have double digit seasonal snowfall totals for a huge area.

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Wonder why it will change back to rain when the upper low comes through?  Are they expecting the surface to warm?

All snow in downtown Raleigh now, it looks like.

EG didn't say. Just showed their model forecast.  You'll need to watch it on WRAL site

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shack said:

I'm guessing another hour or so, but the roads seem very passable in town.  My wife and daughter are itching to go shopping today and Park Road is on their agenda. They'll be headed out to whatever is open, so I'm guessing other folks will be too.

What type of shop does your fiancé have?

Yeah, main roads are completely fine, although my car thermometer dipped from 34 to 32 and flipped to 31 briefly, so things could go downhill if it keeps up.

She manages a luxury consignment store/boutique called JT Posh. Cool spot.

Snow of varying intensity still falling near CLT motor speedway. Probably winding down from here on out. Very nice way to end an otherwise sloppy overall event imby. Seems like Charlotte is overdue for one of those surprise 12"+ storms we get about twice a decade!!! A good 90 days left for that to happen!

3 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Yeah, main roads are completely fine, although my car thermometer dipped from 34 to 32 and flipped to 31 briefly, so things could go downhill if it keeps up.

She manages a luxury consignment store/boutique called JT Posh. Cool spot.

Sounds like just their kind of place! Hovering at 32/33deg here.

This morning's spurt of snow didn't add to any totals here from what I could tell.  Airport reported 4" but here NNW of it I measured 2" of compacted slop on the truck bed yesterday afternoon after precip had pretty much stopped, so I'd say if going by actual snow board procedures it was around 2.5-3" storm accumulation, mostly sleet after the initial hour or so of heavy snow once changeover occured.

• jburns unpinned this topic