Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

Just now, Poimen said:

This is the second time today I've said this, but this time I really mean it: this is the heaviest snow I've ever seen. Visibility still about 1/4 mile. 

Flake size growing in Danville as this band approaches... I think somewhere between you and me gets 16 inches 

In Charlotte. Drizzle. It’s a mess out there. Just saw an email report of transformer blowing in the neighborhood but I still have power.

went to my 24hr storage unit to get sleeping bags, ski clothes,. Entered my access code, gate goes up, I drive though. Immediately after I drove through, the gate stopped 3/4 of the way up, just enough for me to drive through, then started dropping. Dropped and stopped about 1/4 of the way down. Houston, I might have a,problem trying to get back out. Went ahead and got my stuff. 

Drove back to the gate and it was still stuck and didn’t lift when I drove up. Got out, heard the motor working but gate wasn’t moving. I tried knocking off as much ice as possible, all the while avoiding the 7,000 volt electric wires. Wouldn’t move. Used my ice scraper to physically push the huge gate up. Got it up high enough to drive through and zipped out. Not sure if it ever came back down....

of course I forgot to get some stuff I will need if power goes out...not sure if I’ll try and go back.

Sorry if this is inappropriate for this thread...delete if needed.

just relaying what a mess we’ve got on our hands here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Do I dare say we can get to foot...

You are obviously in the sweet spot even though I know we can’t be too far from each other. We are at little over 7” now but we have a sleet and snow mix unfortunately.  If you could get a foot with us staying at 7” that would be amazing!!!

19 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Seems to be doing a little better than I expected in GSO.  It will be interesting to see what the airport ends up reporting (close to where I used to live).  I’d expect INT to do better than GSO, as well.  It seems that the forecasted QPF has turned out to be fairly accurate.

My OBS: 64/OV. :lmao:

James- hate you’re missing this one brother. This is going to go down as an all timer for the Triad.  Incredibly heavy snow, has to be 1.5-2” per hour rates right now. Temp still holding at 26. 

• Like 1

7" in western wake county at the Chatham county line.  Light precip now, hear some pingers.  Just got back from a drive and Town of Cary has plowed all the non-neighborhood roads around here.  McDonalds was open.  Almost got backed into by a snowplow in the Harris Teeter parking lot.

• Like 1

Just now, Poimen said:

Soundings from the HRRR for my slice of Forsyth county remain all snow through about 19Z....we'll see. It's going to be really close. 

This storm keeps overperforming. I'm now near 11" and still getting some the heaviest snow for this event (which is saying something). 

Anybody else in Wake still getting snow?

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

This storm keeps overperforming. I'm now near 11" and still getting some the heaviest snow for this event (which is saying something). 

Anybody else in Wake still getting snow?

You are the place to be!  We have a mix that is mostly sleet right now.   I have a feeling the snow is gone for good.   I just hope the rain isn’t bad enough to wash this away.

• jburns unpinned this topic