• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

This obs thread is awesome! It’s great so many of us are getting clobbered and those lucky ones to witness thundersnow (I can count on one hand how many I have seen lol). The heavier bands here are snow/sleet. The moderate ones are freezing rain - getting a glaze and icicles on the trees now. What a great storm lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

And just like that, snow almost stopped, now 85% sleet.

Yep, laying here trying to go to bed and it just started hitting the wind on that NE wind.  4-5” of slop again incoming I’m sure, maybe backside on Monday will drop a couple inches of fluffiness.  Although part of me thinks it’s rate driven just like earlier tonight for me...

1 minute ago, ryan1234 said:

I am south of you and it's still mostly still snow, maybe 80/20. And just because the CC moved away from Charlotte doesn't mean it won't retrograde back. 

•  

Hrrr shows it coming north like itnit now before moving south a bit thru morning. Setting my alarm for 430 and hope to wake up to flakes and a few inches on the ground 

With initial precip in Mooresville for the past 30 min, it's been sleet/snow as the sfc temps are crashing with this hvy band.  It's whitened up the ground quickly.  Expected to transition to all snow soon as the column is completely cooled.  In fact, I hear less sleet and see bigger flakes mixing in now.  This is going to be a big hit.

34.3/31

2 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

I am south of you and it's still mostly still snow, maybe 80/20. And just because the CC moved away from Charlotte doesn't mean it won't retrograde back. 

•  

Good to hear! Typically, once the warm nose (assuming that's what this is) wins out, it's not giving up its ground. However, maybe it's based on heavier returns and we can swing this thing back south with more dbs and CAD.

In my opinion, Its really going to have to snow heavily for 10 to 12 hours in order to get the accumulations that have been shown on the models and the local weather bureau's snow maps due to the warm surface temperatures. And as I type this the temperature has now fallen 3 degrees to 34.5 since the first snow flakes started falling 45 minutes ago.

2 minutes ago, Wow said:

With initial precip in Mooresville for the past 30 min, it's been sleet/snow as the sfc temps are crashing with this hvy band.  It's whitened up the ground quickly.  Expected to transition to all snow soon as the column is completely cooled.  In fact, I hear less sleet and see bigger flakes mixing in now.  This is going to be a big hit.

34.3/31

Any worry of the CC moving up our way? Seems like its racing north in a hurry. 

• jburns unpinned this topic