Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

1 minute ago, WxKnurd said:

Guys in Mooresville, it’s going to be a painstaking wait for you but it should be all snow there when it starts.  It’s obvious this CAD is doing its thing with these dew points as radar returns have been the best all day over me north of 85 and the best I can do right now is a light snow/rain mix with the occasional bigger flake making it down.  It’s wanting to start going to what everyone S and SW of here is seeing but not quite there yet.  Sets up good for y’all when it finally breaks out up there.

I hope so. Hoping we can all score here. Agonizing right now. 

9 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

That is crazy.  Not sure I have ever seen that happen on this type of storm before.

Me either. Ever. During winter storms Mooresville always goes to snow quickly. Tonight it's like Mooresville has its own micro-climate above the town. Places all around are reporting rain, sleet or snow but Mooresville hasn't had any precipitation fall. Its really strange. 

• Sad 2

The other thing that I think helps us is the orientation of the CAD.  Normally you see the classic NE orientation running from CLT up to RDU roughly.  The 850’s and 925’s are oriented east to west this time covering most of NC.  So even if there is warmer air being pushed in later, I assume it will take a lot more to erode that.  Compared to when normally they just need to be eroded 10 or 15 miles west to break down the CAD here. 

925’s continuing to fall.  850’s just had a pocket of -2 off to the NE form.  Last time that happened was a -1 pocket which then quickly crashed S and SE.  

50FA96F8-D854-4BDA-8092-F8BC9EE12BA4.jpeg

575B59C3-8D85-4B86-8B5C-003F2197253C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

I have never seen flakes this big in my life, unreal!! 

That's awesome...wonder what drives flake size...I've seen pancakes all the way to pixie dust...but not sure what variables play into the flake size...If you can safely, you should drive in that...you be like Han Solo in Hyperdrive :)

• jburns unpinned this topic