Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

4 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

A lot of what I thought was rain earlier was mainly sleet, may actually have an inch of that on top of the partially melted snow from earlier. Now it just keeps flipping constantly. At times it’s mainly snow, and then it’ll flip mainly sleet and mix in between the flips. Hoping to flip all snow before the heaviest gets hear in a couple hours. Still can’t get that dry easy wind that everyone else is getting though.

The wind here is amazing....we’re probably getting gusts to 30 mph at this hour.  I can tell you we’re honestly probably lucky the wedge isn’t quite as cold and dry as in previous storms because with the amount of qpf along with this wind, that would be one helluva ice storm and probably one for the ages.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

A lot of what I thought was rain earlier was mainly sleet, may actually have an inch of that on top of the partially melted snow from earlier. Now it just keeps flipping constantly. At times it’s mainly snow, and then it’ll flip mainly sleet and mix in between the flips. Hoping to flip all snow before the heaviest gets hear in a couple hours. Still can’t get that dry easy wind that everyone else is getting though.

Ah ok whew lol. I was worried if you were back to rain it may get be short lived here. You are getting any decent wind gusts? They are topping out near 30 mph around here. Hopefully we can keep it all frozen overnight 

20 minutes ago, palmettoweather said:

Went and ate in TR with family downtown, ripping snow was quite awesome. Was accumulating on the roads, covering everything in white. Got back to Furman and it was back to raining. Drove home to Pendleton back roads and even in Dacusville no snow, just sleet. Taking a while for that snow line to move south in the Upstate.

36 here in Pendleton, maybe some sleet starting to mix in now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My parents live in Dacusville, they had enough snows to cover the ground a couple hours ago, I think they went back to mainly sleet but at least they saw some. I've been back and forth from mainly sleet to mainly rain and my deck has a slushy layer but haven't seen the first flake. 32.5 here. 

4 minutes ago, NEGa said:

Yep that’s sort of near me lol.  It is all snow and just pouring down right now. Think the change over was about 915-930 to go to all snow

guess we will see how well the hrrr does here as it shows the 750mb warm nose screaming in changing it back over to mostly sleet in just 2 hours. Still, you should do well due to the high rates. Looks like via CC radar it's very close to changing over in gainesville too...wouldn't be surprised if they are seeing some sleet mixed in now....pretty amazing how fast that entire area switched over. 

2 minutes ago, NEGa said:

Ah ok whew lol. I was worried if you were back to rain it may get be short lived here. You are getting any decent wind gusts? They are topping out near 30 mph around here. Hopefully we can keep it all frozen overnight 

None at all right now. Peak wind has been around 10 which  is surprising me. All snow now finally and piling up fast.

11 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

A couple of years ago i went to clayton for an event and it kept doing the same thing. Not much different from this setup in terms of thermal profiles.  End up getting quite a lot in the end but the constant changeovers made me feel like we were robbed somewhat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

guess we will see how well the hrrr does here as it shows the 750mb warm nose screaming in changing it back over to mostly sleet in just 2 hours. Still, you should do well due to the high rates. Looks like via CC radar it's very close to changing over in gainesville too...wouldn't be surprised if they are seeing some sleet mixed in now....pretty amazing how fast that entire area switched over. 

It did change quickly I was surprised. I saw the warm nose, but at least I am used to that in ga storms.   Fortunately as long as it stays frozen its a good winter storm by my low standards lol. It’s pretty coming down for sure

1 minute ago, NEGa said:

It did change quickly I was surprised. I saw the warm nose, but at least I am used to that in ga storms.   Fortunately as long as it stays frozen its a good winter storm by my low standards lol. It’s pretty coming down for sure

Most of the time i end up being jealous of you and this one is no exception. The amount of sleet you could end up getting should be quite impressive....assuming the warm nose doesn't switch you over to freezing rain but it doesn't look like it will.  

12 minutes ago, audioguy3107 said:

The wind here is amazing....we’re probably getting gusts to 30 mph at this hour.  I can tell you we’re honestly probably lucky the wedge isn’t quite as cold and dry as in previous storms because with the amount of qpf along with this wind, that would be one helluva ice storm and probably one for the ages.

For real....if it was and we had these high winds with it this much precip, people would be out of power for a week or more. The hell with that. 

• jburns unpinned this topic