Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

Amos83

2 minutes ago, QC_Halo said:

This was a serious question....can anyone tell me?

closer to the mountains I’m assuming, so cold air piles up quicker?

Precip got there sooner, cooling the column quicker.  And the CAD normally pushes down that way going much further south as you go west of Charlotte.  Though for now the CAD has more to go as the models showed the big push tonight. 

2 minutes ago, broken024 said:

Any south charlotte or union county folks getting sleet yet

Been getting sleet off and on much of the day.  I’m less than a mile from Union Meck border near 74.  Ran to store earlier and there was a lot of wet snowflakes hitting windshield.  Much harder to tell standing outside though.  Heavier precip brings more mixing. 

• Like 1

Just now, GunBlade said:

Been getting sleet off and on much of the day.  I’m less than a mile from Union Meck border near 74.  Ran to store earlier and there was a lot of wet snowflakes hitting windshield.  Much harder to tell standing outside though.  Heavier precip brings more mixing. 

Yea it's hard to tell now it's dark. Everything is wet as shiit though.

1 minute ago, GunBlade said:

Been getting sleet off and on much of the day.  I’m less than a mile from Union Meck border near 74. 

So weird, was out and about in Southpark all afternoon, and saw no sleet. Don’t even think we have that now. Went outside to check the smoker and sounded a little ‘pingy’ But didn’t really see any sleet.

Just now, broken024 said:

Yea it's hard to tell now it's dark. Everything is wet as shiit though.

Hah yea not pretty snow for sure.  925’s have retreated some but the wind direction and speed looks to be picking up some so I anticipate those crashing soon. HRRR earlier didn’t have us really in the mix until about 11 pm so things look good still.  If we were supposed to be getting snow right now I’d be worried. 

1 minute ago, QC_Halo said:

So weird, was out and about in Southpark all afternoon, and saw no sleet. Don’t even think we have that now. Went outside to check the smoker and sounded a little ‘pingy’ But didn’t really see any sleet.

Im right off of monroe rd. Just south of matthews. Went out for dinner around 530 and it was prolly 50/50 sleet and rain all the way up to sardis rd north

1 minute ago, QC_Halo said:

Yea it’s come and gone.  Nothing consistent.  Had a couple brief times when there was enough to get some sitting on back porch table, but nothing to talk about.  I ran to the store around 6:00 and it looked like rain but you could tell they were really wet snow flakes hitting the windshield and had a few bouncy sleet pellets.  Sloppy mess as of now and has been.  Shouldn’t be too far from more of a change though. 

Left my inlaws house at 3000 feet on the nc/sc border at hwy 178. They live on the west facing side of the mountain and had only gotten about an inch of snow with a temp of 33. Drove 1/4 mile down the road to the east side of the slope and there was 4 inches on the ground at 31 degree's and it was absolutely ripping,(at a lower elevation).  I guarantee you that location is at 7 or 8 inches by now and still ripping.

At 2700' on hwy 178 at the divide there was about 2 inches on the ground and ripping when we came through an hour and half ago.  When we dropped below 2000' it switched to a white rain with no snow on the ground. Continued like that all the way back to Clemson where it's currently 37 and miserable.

• jburns unpinned this topic