Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9/10 Storm

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Through 72, euro looks better than yesterday's 12z at least in all the ways I can see.  Confluence better, s/w deeper and northern s/w deeper and closer as well.  

How did last night's 0z look as a reminder?

0z was a decent tick north with features overall and a sloppy-ish phase with the N/s bowling ball diving in. I'd say so far this 12z looks like its not going to be much improvement if any over 0z, don't think it'll make the phase work (i.e. the GEM)

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Just looking at the h5 it looks pretty ugly to me. Maybe the worse run at h5 in a while relative to what we need.  In every way. In the end the NS was slightly more suppressive (that's been a trend across guidance and it's offsetting improvements in the stj wave) and less phasing. 

I think its time to raise the white flag. We never trend towards those great ensemble potentials

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Just looking at the h5 it looks pretty ugly to me. Maybe the worse run at h5 in a while relative to what we need.  In every way. In the end the NS was slightly more suppressive (that's been a trend across guidance and it's offsetting improvements in the stj wave) and less phasing. 

Worse than 0z it seems but it looks better than the 12z GFS through 120 at least (at 500mb).

Ugh at 144 though.    

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Agree 100%. I didn't see a single trend at any level that was in our favor. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This sounds like a losing battle...If it was gonna work out, surely we'd see evidence of some sort of a trend in our favor (save the Canadian...but how can we evn consider that possibility when nothing else supports it?). Can we just stick a fork in this one?

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

This sounds like a losing battle...If it was gonna work out, surely we'd see evidence of some sort of a trend in our favor (save the Canadian...but how can we evn consider that possibility when nothing else supports it?). Can we just stick a fork in this one?

We're still 4-5 days away and there are enough pieces unresolved to leave us hanging. Obviously a southern hit is favored but there is no way you can say with 100% certainty that we are out yet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We're still 4-5 days away and there are enough pieces unresolved to leave us hanging. Obviously a southern hit is favored but there is no way you can say with 100% certainty that we are out yet. 

True... hopefully there are some EPS members that show up that look somewhat decent for us

I think the worst part about this was when the GFS FV3 backed off a bit. I was really holding high hopes for the model but it was on an island by itself for a while, and quite honestly the last thing we need is another model that just serves to give us some hope to grasp onto.

Hopefully they all come back around to a solid hit though.

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

we are still well outside of the range where we can throw in the towel on this.  While the odds dont look good the northern stream is still jumping around with every model run and there is time for that to become better modeled.  Bottom line the odds are not great but i wouldnt toss in the towel unless this model run occurred 72 hours out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Like what? What the CMC showed? What are the odds of that?

Or really...when was the last time guidance looked this locked in on a suppressed solution 4-5 days out, and it all of the sudden trended much further north?

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Or really...when was the last time guidance looked this locked in on a suppressed solution 4-5 days out, and it all of the sudden trended much further north?

we have numerous examples of beinf in the bullseye 4 days out only to see our storm end up too far north by gametime.  not saying thats the case but we have been burned many times inside of this range.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I think the 12”+ idea at this point is ludicrous and off the table but maybe it can trend far enough north to give us 6 hours of mod snow and 3-6” or something of the sort