Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10 Storm Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

11 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Downsloping off Clinch Mtn perhaps? There may also be downsloping off Holston Mtn, but I am far enough away that it isn't affecting me.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. This will be something I'll take account for in future events. Considering temperatures don't look to get significantly colder tonight this isn't going to stop anytime soon. I guess I could hope for some heavy rates to overcome but at the same time that's a double edged sword as it introduces more freezing rain to the ground and makes the situation worse. I'm expecting a pretty hefty glaze now. My only hope is for colder air in the upper levels to be forcibly advected into the valley which at this point is laughable. (refer to John's post above)

5 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. This will be something I'll take account for in future events. Considering temperatures don't look to get significantly colder tonight this isn't going to stop anytime soon. I guess I could hope for some heavy rates to overcome but at the same time that's a double edged sword as it introduces more freezing rain to the ground and makes the situation worse. I'm expecting a pretty hefty glaze now. My only hope is for colder air in the upper levels to be forcibly advected into the valley which at this point is laughable. (refer to John's post above)

With the SW flow, definitely need to bulldoze this feature lol

Screenshot_20181209-020334.png

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The 925 and 850s are so bad at this point I'll be surprised if they can work out anywhere outside extreme NE areas. 925 was right below me at 9:45. Now its way up in Kentucky. The 850 has shot into Ohio.  Hopefully the NE areas can hold on, but the warm nose is as strong as any I've seen for the track the low is taking and the relative weakness of it.  You'd think it was 992 the way it's pumped up temps.

I'm not ready to cliff dive yet lol, need to see how thing react in those level once we turn off the flow from the gulf. Then it's up to how much cold air the NNW side of the 850 vort can bring and if the UVVs can bring it to the surface.

7 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Event is already underway but worth posting the 0z ECMWF totals before things get crazy:ff6f7e55dbb61b8937f7bd9cbade5fe1.jpg

Hopefully this is remotely correct for my area but I'm extremely skeptical at this point.  Temp is now at 36, up 3 degrees. There's not a lot of cold to be found as the high moves east and the sw flow keeps pumping. MRX is bullish for SW Virginia where it bumped totals to 6-12. Lowered my area to 1-4.  I'll count 2 as a win right now.  

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

I'm not ready to cliff dive yet lol, need to see how thing react in those level once we turn off the flow from the gulf. Then it's up to how much cold air the NNW side of the 850 vort can bring and if the UVVs can bring it to the surface.

I've seen a lot of these events and it's tough for them to turn favorable once rain bores in like this. Especially if the energy transfers off the coast. We will be counting on a dying ULL to provide the punch.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I've seen a lot of these events and it's tough for them to turn favorable once rain bores in like this. Especially if the energy transfers off the coast. We will be counting on a dying ULL to provide the punch.  

You definitely hit the nail on the head, and why I have one foot dangling at the ledge lol. If the transfer is quicker, then I hoped I packed a parachute.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

:ee: I'm amused at my own folley at this point. The temperature is 31 and I'm trapped with my most hated precip type for the storm I had been looking forward to for 11 days. In other news the precipitation is picking up. Ice, Ice, Baby:arrowhead: Why am I laughing?

I don't know how to say this but...It's back to snow by some miracle all in the short time span of 10 minutes! I don't know how, I don't know why, I don't know for how long but the downslope has toned it down some. :snowing: Welp, I'm not forgetting this one. You see I didn't cliff dive I accepted my fate and said go on mock me. Instead in the most twisted way it mocked me in that it is now a pure heavy snowfall with some inch in diameter flakes. Of course in 15 mins I'm sure It'll be back to roasting anything frozen that dare falls here within a 5 mile radius. UPDATE: 2 minutes later it's back to a mix. xD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlunderStorm said:

I don't know how to say this but...It's back to snow by some miracle all in the short time span of 10 minutes! I don't know how, I don't know why, I don't know for how long but the downslope has toned it down some. :snowing: Welp, I'm not forgetting this one. You see I didn't cliff dive I accepted my fate and said go on mock me. Instead in the most twisted way it mocked me in that it is now a pure heavy snowfall with some inch in diameter flakes. Of course in 15 mins I'm sure It'll be back to roasting anything frozen that dare falls here within a 5 mile radius.

You should be good for 6-8 inches of snow. I'll be surprised if you change back to anything liquid.  I'm more surprised you found a way to not be snowing. 

I don't know how to say this but...It's back to snow by some miracle all in the short time span of 10 minutes! I don't know how, I don't know why, I don't know for how long but the downslope has toned it down some. :snowing: Welp, I'm not forgetting this one. You see I didn't cliff dive I accepted my fate and said go on mock me. Instead in the most twisted way it mocked me in that it is now a pure heavy snowfall with some inch in diameter flakes. Of course in 15 mins I'm sure It'll be back to roasting anything frozen that dare falls here within a 5 mile radius. UPDATE: 2 minutes later it's back to a mix. xD
925-850 column is probably and finally cooling on that side of Clinch now like had down here in Bristol. Enjoy the show!

I'm between Greeneville and Johnson City. In the past 30 minutes it's really started hammering snow. Nothing is more beautiful than this snow globe effect in the middle of the night. Hopefully everyone that wants snow will get enough to make you happy. Looks like about half an inch on the porch now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DownNDirtyTN said:

I'm between Greeneville and Johnson City. In the past 30 minutes it's really started hammering snow. Nothing is more beautiful than this snow globe effect in the middle of the night. Hopefully everyone that wants snow will get enough to make you happy. Looks like about half an inch on the porch now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Really glad the precipitation type isn't rocket science for some folks. Hope you folks down there hold on to that!

41 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Event is already underway but worth posting the 0z ECMWF totals before things get crazy:ff6f7e55dbb61b8937f7bd9cbade5fe1.jpg

Thanks for posting.  That will save me some attachment storage space.  I was beginning to think things were not on track.  But I forget that the Euro is in 6 hour increments on WeatherBell.  That means that what looked like no mix on earlier runs...was likely a transition time.  Now to the point,  other than an inch or two...the snow on that map falls between hours 6 and 18.  That means, according to the Euro, we are not to time when prime rates will fall.  That is likely a little later this morning.  Fingers crossed.  Great to see that the Euro held surprisingly while we were in the middle of the event.  I would have expected totals to have come down some.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

The battle line is drawn and the trench is dug in deep. But all is not quiet on the western front....

Progress was being made but it was painfully slow. Behind frontlines allegiances sway and support for the war is limited. In some cases riots occurred resulting in sways towards support of the rain. It would be a long war of attrition. (To be continued)

What is crazy about this...  @Windspeed, I am to the west of you I think.  Even though I am to the west, it seems that you are seeing the weather transitions for Kingsport first - probably because the winds are out of the east.  Back to moderate snow here...just echoing what you posted a few minutes ago in the obs thread.   I agree, it means business.

Looks like another wave of heavier snow is heading up this way in the next hour. Maybe this is what I need to finally fully transition. This downslope effect is going to be a chronic feature of this storm. How strong it is, is another thing. I'm sure if we had posters in Damascus or up along south Holston you'd hear the same. I'm not thinking complete bust. I'm considering dozing off but I don't want to miss a potential change over.

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic