• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10 Storm Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

MRX rolls with a mostly GFS based forecast as does JKL. Not a big surprise I guess. Last situation like this when I got a WWA we ended up with 8-10 inches of snow across the area.

No clear idea why they do it that way, WPC has been very much saying the GFS wasn't being used in their products because it's a major outlier.

The GFS is by far the driest model. The others all have 1.25-2.00 inches over all of the area. GFS has something like .75 in the northern parts of the forum. 

Yet for reasons beyond me they say the 00z NAM is the outlier QPF wise. 

Yeah, seems like it's a bit early to me. Will be interesting to see how fat north in E TN it gets this AM.  From about Jeff City on up temps and dewpoints look snowy. Saw that Hurricane Tracker, a Met in the SE forum for the NC mountains area, was saying that the High is verifying at 1039 mbs, higher than any guidance. 

Here in Knoxville near downtown nothing hitting the ground yet, but looks like snow may be up at the top if the towers on Sharp's Ridge.

Hearing there is acc. snow in Crossville

Definitely rain at my house in Knoxville now, but if my ever reliable car thermometer can be believed, it's around 37.  I can see snow falling about 1/3 of the way down the tallest radio tower on Sharp's ridge. 

Based on the height of that tower + Sharp's ridge, that puts the snow at this time in Knoxville at around 2200-2300 feet. 

I feel like if we just got a really heavy burst that might come down for a bit

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

So the 6z GFS is now moving to the Euro solution it appears.  Been trending that way for several runs.  Not there yet, but trending that way.

Looks like it’s going to be an interesting day to say the least, it’s probably a blessing that this system is coming thru on a weekend instead of the work week.  I’m rooting for everybody today,  I hope we all can pull out Some snow accumulation the next 2 days!!

• Like 4

It’s the clash of the titans in terms of weather models and NWS. With no Winter Weather Advisory or any winter precipitation related alert Southwest down the valley from Hawkins County, touching VA by the way. Euro, Fv3 GFS, NAM, RGEM, CMC, and somewhat the op GFS all in somewhat agreence there will be light to moderate snow accumulations Sunday Morning and into the afternoon as NWS isn’t buyin those ideas for Central/NE valley. For now, light snow, sleet and rain, in the Southern and central valley will continue on and off throughout the day as very dry and chilly air encompasses the area...for now.

874CD8F3-EC25-4E8C-9DF5-58D12393C787.png

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic