• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10 Storm Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

That GFS run was colder at the surface as the storm passed...by a degree or two.   The high over the top just pressed more.  You could see if from the beginning of the run if you use the toggle feature on TT.  

I will be surprised if this storm is not mostly frozen for NE TN and SW VA and SE KY.   I could easily be wrong.  I did call for the last week of November to be warm...and we know how that turned out.  I think I got two dustings of snow.  LOL.  So take it for what its worth.  

• Like 3

0z CMC clown map. Pretty consistent from 12z. Actually ticked up qpf just a little bit from 12z run.

I really think the GFS is off of its rocker. WPC had mentioned that it was being to progressive with the 500mb shortwave compared to Euro. This run was very progressive.

The CMC/Euro/NAM/FV3(0z not out yet) have all been extremely consistent compared to the GFS. That run was so different I’m going to classify it as a pretty good outlier. 9766b2c308c2bbd039bdc290c2800d0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I am looking for for east tn is the redevelopment as the storm leaves the east coast.  I could be wrong but i think the icon showed it in the last run, and the cmc really develops it, to make for a super long duration event for mid to east tn.  Seems like all the models had it a few days ago and lost it when the models were running the storm due east quickly

• Like 1

I'd obviously much rather have a period of sleet than freezing rain. Dave Dierks @WCYB seems confident in 4-6 inches of snow for the Bristol area now but I do not want a period of freezing rain mixing in under that. Would mean damage to to grid and power outages galore. Of course, there is also the possibility that the 920 - 850 mb nose doesn't make it NE of Morristown/Greeneville. That would mean KTRI and Abingdon getting crushed with significant heavy wet snow and outages regardless.

I have bought into around 7 inches of heavy wet snow at this point for my location. I noticed the NAM crushes us but I just want to see if tonight's Euro stays in play. 36-48 hrs, we're getting into crunch time folks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

What time is the Euro running?  I think I am going to gut it out and stay up....Like 12:50?

1:00 AM and about 20 minutes or so to figure out how this goes. Of course that's on free weather.us. Speaking of the storm I'm still feeling a bit uneasy in terms of suppression and warm layers. It's seem too good to be true but the solution is supported so I must follow it. I think if everything goes without any unforeseen tricks that knock down snow accumulation (which I'm still 50-50 on) 10 in of heavy wet snow will fall IMBY when all is said and done. As a forecaster I would mark it... 6-10 in.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tnweathernut said:

Any bets the Euro finishes before the FV3?  Colder trends tonight are good.   Precip shield should be robust throughout TN.  If not, I’d be shocked!

I was just about to comment that the Euro will still finish before the FV3. I swear someone is messing with all of us on the FV3 and it will run at normal speed after this storm passes.

• Like 1

The FV3 has two waves of snow. Heavy rain switches to heavy snow from the Plateau east towards Tri by hr 60 and it's extremely heavy snow. It moves out and another wave moves into Tennessee by 78, heavy snow around BNA at that point. Heavy snow in East Tennessee by 84 then it slowly winds down from the Plateau eastward over the next 12 hours.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Any bets the Euro finishes before the FV3?  Colder trends tonight are good.   Precip shield should be robust throughout TN.  If not, I’d be shocked!

Just switched it over to the radar version on Tropical TT...was able to catch the entire storm.  You can get out to about 210 on that.  Interesting to see that extra little bout of snow.  

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic