Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10 Storm Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

13 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Well, I feel like we have reached a milestone.  We have been watching potential for this on the Weeklies, then the EPS at d10-15, then many global operational runs, and now we can actually slightly begin to take short range models seriously.  We have been watching this for some time. Whew!

Feels like we have run a gauntlet already and still a long way to go (weather wise).  Fun storm to have tracked regardless of the outcome.

• Like 3

I've noticed a few people are getting the surface low and the 850 vort comfused, they are 2 separate things. The surface has been roughly locked in going along the coast in more of a Miller A style. The totals across the TN/KY line include the front-end snow, which the central and southern valley will miss. The angle and exact pivot point of the 850 is what makes or breaks the valley. Just glancing at the FV3, it is pivoting or transferring sooner and maxing out the uvv's over the valley as well in the coma head leading to the crazy output.

• Like 2

I am not even sure the icon is worth discussing at this point, but it is warm, the track is seemingly favorable but it skirts off the coast sooner than other models. Upper East tn gets scrapped at the end by some heavy snow but its overall meh

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The NAM is fully Namming. 

It's  hi-res with a lot of the same math as the GFS. The FV3 is a hi-res with a lot of the same math as the GFS. Makes me wonder if that's why they are sgeeing the similar evolution of the systems.

I hope so, cause the old GFS is straight up poo poo for most of TN.

2 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

I hope so, cause the old GFS is straight up poo poo for most of TN.

It makes me worrisome how the gfs/icon exit the coast early and at angles not favorable to feed back into the interior

Just now, Bango said:

It makes me worrisome how the gfs/icon exit the coast at early and at angles not favorable to feed back into the interior

While it's a solution on the table, that progression is a GFS bias and it's been give much less weight by the WPC. 

The NAM is almost assuredly overdoing the hp, but a 1041 over the top banana high with that system is as good as it gets for the entire forum region. That set up in late December through mid-February would be a major snow event from I-20 to I-64 in Kentucky.

8 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The NAM is fully Namming. 

It's  hi-res with a lot of the same math as the GFS. The FV3 is a hi-res with a lot of the same math as the GFS. Makes me wonder if that's why they are seeing the similar evolution of the systems.

I don't consider it the official start to winter until I get NAM'd for the first time.  On the occasion I like to pour some whiskey, look out the window towards the planets, then pull up Earl Barker's NAM clowns on my screen.  Ah the memories!

http://www.wxcaster.com/regional_snowfall.htm

:guitar:

• Like 4

Right now the hi-res models are basically giving a large portion of the forum a shot at snow. The Canadian is giving the northern 1/3 or so of the forum a major snow event. The GFS is the furthest north with the 850 and most progressive with the gulf low. It basically gives SW Ky, and the Plateau to the Tri-Cities and north notable snow and leaves everyone else out. So a blend of the models is the best way to look at it. A blend of them yields a significant snow threat along the 40 corridor from Oklahoma to the Raleigh area.

3 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

I don't consider it the official start to winter until I get NAM'd for the first time.  On the occasion I like to pour some whiskey, look out the window towards the planets, then pull up Earl Barker's NAM clowns on my screen.  Ah the memories!

http://www.wxcaster.com/regional_snowfall.htm

:guitar:

Clarksville throws down 5 inches of snow from 81-84 on his 3 hour plots. It could be even more since it doesn't go past 5.

11 minutes ago, Bango said:

It makes me worrisome how the gfs/icon exit the coast early and at angles not favorable to feed back into the interior

Not too worried about the ICON, had a pretty good evolution and track.  The GFS doesn’t worry me much either, yet.  Now if the euro jumps again tonight like last night I will consider that a warning shot.  Until then, I’ll just carry on.

• Like 2

The 0z Canadian is a straight up thumping for NETN/SWVA and the mountains. 2’ in the northeast portion of the state. The QPF turns over to heavy snow quicker than any previous run of the model. QPF totals are just insane for a winter storm. 3.5-4” of QPF for Chatty. 3 to 3.5” for Knoxville and 2.5 to 3” for KTRI. That is indeed a rare sight to see that much moisture modeled from a winter storm.

283f1709c8e7bf55612e3874046bf25d.jpg

74496bbb4505b7ee7e870428bd8644a6.jpg

• Like 3

The 0z Canadian is a straight up thumping for NETN/SWVA and the mountains. 2’ in the northeast portion of the state. The QPF turns over to heavy snow quicker than any previous run of the model. QPF totals are just insane for a winter storm. 3.5-4” of QPF for Chatty. 3 to 3.5” for Knoxville and 2.5 to 3” for KTRI. That is indeed a rare sight to see that much moisture modeled from a winter storm.

283f1709c8e7bf55612e3874046bf25d.jpg&key=78a9cf72876cd46ddeacc3fb26443e051c8376277caa61c2f9dc9cc3251c85c0

74496bbb4505b7ee7e870428bd8644a6.jpg&key=ecc82074798ad1a866d0752e326c8a0ae07cea8158564d2a29482b8ce7548db6

I’ll conveniently ignore the CMC cold bias and cash out now, please and thank you.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic