Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 'Tis the Season Banter Thread 2018-2019

Carvers Gap

14 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

Really don't know how much we got,but it was coming down, tough to tell with the winds.The lake effect snows are starting to kick in now,they are calling for 2-4" tonight.If i were to guess it was 6+ so far.I'll post some pics when i get back home

Thanks for asking about my son,he's had a stress fracture in his right hand,he's had it all season.He hasn't been able to compete or  practice on the pommel horse all season but last week he started back practicing on it again.His coach was going to let him do it yesterday but it was his first event so he didn't want him to compete since he had five other events for that day and lack of practice since.It wasn't his best day but he did get 2nd place over-all on the parallel bars,think in 3 weeks we go to Knoxville,then a week after that sin city (Las Vegas) :)

Sounds like a great weekend all around, I’m glad your son is getting back to 100% healthy.  I’m sure that wrist issue has really been affecting him, hopefully by the time y’all go to Knoxville his coach will let him return to the pommel horse.  Knoxville and Vegas In back to back weeks sounds like a lot of fun too, he must be a really talented gymnast!  Side note- How the heck do they manage to let people in for free to the Zoo In Chicago??  Be safe traveling home too buddy!  

• Like 1

Congratulations Tennessee! Vols are really good. Could be Final Four! Meanwhile the Kansas game was more like watching the GFS.

19 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

First full basketball game I've watched in a while. Felt like watching the NAM, but getting an unexpected last 12 hour NW trend in your favor. 

I will be at peace if the Chiefs win tonight.

Third time I remind everyone the lunar eclipse is looking great tonight. Skies are clearing. High clouds possible northwest should not impact viewing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Congratulations Tennessee! Vols are really good. Could be Final Four! Meanwhile the Kansas game was more like watching the GFS.

I will be at peace if the Chiefs win tonight.

Third time I remind everyone the lunar eclipse is looking great tonight. Skies are clearing. High clouds possible northwest should not impact viewing.

So sick of refs calling bogus calls.That late hit called on Brady was one of the most pathetic garbage i've ever seen,this was a big turning point in this game.He hit Brady's shoulder pad with his hand as Brady was throwing the damn ball.This was one of the most blatant calls i've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The Rams also got some help. Think the NFL wanted the TV markets in New England and LA for the Super Bowl? I believe both are in the 6 or 7 biggest in the nation.  

We was still driving from Chicago, but i heard it was bad also.The quality of the refs are bad and even the instant replay quality with angles is just as bad.Really makes you wonder how much these refs are getting paid off

12 hours ago, John1122 said:

The Rams also got some help. Think the NFL wanted the TV markets in New England and LA for the Super Bowl? I believe both are in the 6 or 7 biggest in the nation.  

Boston has dipped to #9, but LA is #2. Compare that to KC (#32) and New Orleans (#50). 

While we are on the subject: Knoxville is now #60, while the Tri-Cities have dipped to #102. Nashville is #27; Memphis #51; Chatt #83; Jackson #177.

Back to football: the no-call DPI was atrocious, as was the roughing penalty on KC. I had no skin in the AFCCG, but was really pulling for the Saints. Count me out on Super Bowl viewing.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, John1122 said:

What a world, when Louisiana gets more snow than good portions Tennessee the past two years and it looks to continue this year if the Euro is to be believed.

I’m beginning to think it’s not gonna snow at all in our forum this year.  I’ve just got a bad feeling about it, I hope I’m wrong though.  Threats continually being pushed to ten days or farther out is not a good sign in my opinion.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

At least the mud freezes now after the fronts come through, lol! My yard is a swamp when it thaws. 

You should see the golf course I work at, both courses are just wrecked from all The rain.

5 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Hey, we got one with 5 this week, lol.  And besides, having them hit us at 7 -10 days hasn't worked out, we want it to show up 2-3 days out. 

I’d agree, then again last night we had a threat for Wednesday night and now it’s gone with the wind as of this morning.  Except the stupid FV3 still shows it snowing Wednesday night, lol.  They need to just retire that thing until they get the bugs worked out because nothing it spews out is remotely close to whats actually gonna happen.

• Like 2

I'm starting to think, except in extremely unusual situations (like some of the storms that show up a week out) , having these fancy high resolution models is too much of a good thing. UKMET and Canadian are the way to go. As bad as they are at details, there don't seem to be as many wild swings to me. 

Now, I will also say, it's a different story at 500 mb, but for individual storms, I'm starting to like just the CMC and UKMET, until 3 - 5 days. I was playing around with trends on a storm a week or two ago, trying to figure out if one model did better than another, and it really isn't until 3 - 5 days that even the Euro started to be more steadfast. 

Could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that the Euro will bring that weekend storm back from Cuba, but I'm not sure even we can weather a NW trend from Cuba, lol!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I'm starting to think, except in extremely unusual situations (like some of the storms that show up a week out) , having these fancy high resolution models is too much of a good thing. UKMET and Canadian are the way to go. As bad as they are at details, there don't seem to be as many wild swings to me. 

I totally agree, I guess I just got thrown off earlier this year when that Nc storm showed up on models for like a week straight.  I guess every system has unique properties that stand out more than others at long lead times though.  I wouldn’t mind seeing less hi res stuff though, seems like it’s overkill to have so many.  

5 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Now, I will also say, it's a different story at 500 mb, but for individual storms, I'm starting to like just the CMC and UKMET, until 3 - 5 days. I was playing around with trends on a storm a week or two ago, trying to figure out if one model did better than another, and it really isn't until 3 - 5 days that even the Euro started to be more steadfast. 

Could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that the Euro will bring that weekend storm back from Cuba, but I'm not sure even we can weather a NW trend from Cuba, lol!!!

It pushed it from the coast of Ga/SC to Cuba so who’s to say we can’t reel it back our way. Lol.  Seriously though, that’s a huge distance to move over one run even at this lead time.  Maybe the cold air is just wreaking havoc on the models, I hope so anyways. Lol

5 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing less hi res stuff though, seems like it’s overkill to have so many.  

I've wondered what it would be like to go back to older models, but I guess they retired them for a reason. It would be fun though, knowing what they were, to run one side by side with one of the new ones for 10 days before a storm and see how it played it out. 

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I've wondered what it would be like to go back to older models, but I guess they retired them for a reason. It would be fun though, knowing what they were, to run one side by side with one of the new ones for 10 days before a storm and see how it played it out. 

I like that idea, you wouldn’t have anything to lose so why not try it and see what happens.  I also wish they’d Adjust some of the algorithms on a few of these newer models that bomb 9 out of 10 times.

In some ways though, storms staying in the long range is nothing new. I remember watching the weather channel's 7 day business planner (20 minutes after the hour!) and I always knew you got new data after 2. So every day when I got home from high school I would watch to see if there were any changes to the AM. And same thing in the AM. Sometimes I'd wake up at 3 AM to see the changes if a big storm was forecast.

I remember seeing my favorite snow icon appear often at 5 days, only to disappear as we got closer. 

• Like 1

I can open an ice skating rink in my back yard. One spot holds water too long. 

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

At least the mud freezes now after the fronts come through, lol! My yard is a swamp when it thaws. 

Last night I had no heart watching Kansas basketball. KU won, but Brady no a coin toss ripped out my Chiefs heart the day before. Also lost heart for tracking winter precip.

Good news is we enjoyed the lunar eclipse. It was prettier than I remember; last one with clear skies was 20 years ago (my locations). 

PS. Yes I remember TWC business planner. OMG models sucked back then! But I also looked forward to every update, lol.

Finally, Tennessee deserves number one for sure! Defense is amazing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Finally, Tennessee deserves number one for sure! Defense is amazing. 

I agree. I’m a Kentucky fan, so I don’t enjoy saying this. I really think UT has been the best team all year. Duke is the most talented, but the experience and chemistry that UT plays with gives them the edge in my opinion.

I try to be realistic when it comes to Kentucky. The first half of the season was ugly at times, but I’m starting to see signs that this Kentucky team is figuring it out. They just can't get everyone playing at a high level at the same time. UK will still have some ugly games at times the rest of the season, but I think they could make some noise in March (I hope). 

• Like 1