Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,348
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    diamondtae
    Newest Member
    diamondtae
    Joined
Carvers Gap

Winter 'Tis the Season Banter Thread 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Math/Met said:

If those were from a current model run, then it would be impossible for me to sleep!

Same here! Just looking at it in this high def. got me worked up! Maybe I've been trained like Pavlov's dogs for certain outputs from hi-def models, lol!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw where Kansas guard Vick is taking an immediate leave of absence.  First their big guy, then a guard....   not good in Jayhawk land.  :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kansas is decimated. Yes @tnweathernut Vick is out for personal matters according to Coach. Azubuike is injured for the season (the big man). Also De Sousa was disqualified by the NCAA. He's not played this year but showed promise last season. NCAA handed down a vindictive overly harsh punishment for something small between a relative and Adidas. Meanwhile Zion plays away at Duke after a much bigger alleged sum from Nike. NCAA = Nazi Communists Against Athletes. Needless to say KU season is hosed. Kind of like winter...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Kansas is decimated. Yes @tnweathernut Vick is out for personal matters according to Coach. Azubuike is injured for the season (the big man). Also De Sousa was disqualified by the NCAA. He's not played this year but showed promise last season. NCAA handed down a vindictive overly harsh punishment for something small between a relative and Adidas. Meanwhile Zion plays away at Duke after a much bigger alleged sum from Nike. NCAA = Nazi Communists Against Athletes. Needless to say KU season is hosed. Kind of like winter...

Only the NCAA can punish so arbitrarily.  The NCAA gave Tennessee's basketball coach a TWO year show cause for lying about a BBQ, but then let North Carolina off without any punishment for the worst academic fraud in college sports history.

"The N.C.A.A. did not dispute that the University of North Carolina was guilty of running one of the worst academic fraud schemes in college sports history, involving fake classes that enabled dozens of athletes to gain and maintain their eligibility.  In a ruling that caused head-scratching everywhere except Chapel Hill, the N.C.A.A. announced on Friday that it could not punish the university or its athletics program because the “paper” classes were not available exclusively to athletes. Other students at North Carolina had access to the fraudulent classes, too."  New York Times

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the verdict on DeSousa last week made me so dadgum mad!!!  I absolutely can not stand the NCAA.  I believe their should be some oversight to college athletics so things don't get way out of control...but the NCAA isn't that organization.  I've always wondered what would happen if several of the Power conferences just thumbed their nose at the NCAA and started their own "league".  Like the fabled Tauntaun snowstorms......one can only dream!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

Only the NCAA can punish so arbitrarily.  The NCAA gave Tennessee's basketball coach a TWO year show cause for lying about a BBQ, but then let North Carolina off without any punishment for the worst academic fraud in college sports history.

"The N.C.A.A. did not dispute that the University of North Carolina was guilty of running one of the worst academic fraud schemes in college sports history, involving fake classes that enabled dozens of athletes to gain and maintain their eligibility.  In a ruling that caused head-scratching everywhere except Chapel Hill, the N.C.A.A. announced on Friday that it could not punish the university or its athletics program because the “paper” classes were not available exclusively to athletes. Other students at North Carolina had access to the fraudulent classes, too."  New York Times

The NCAA lost any remaining credibility with that ruling. There was a disproportionate amount of athletes in those classes.  They are basically telling everyone that it’s ok to cheat, as long as other students benefit from it as well. The ruling would be different for just about any other school. UNC and Duke are apparently untouchable. I think the Corey Maggette (Duke) decision is an example of that. 

Quote

"Five years after the Clippers' Corey Maggette played for Duke in the NCAA championship game and later was found to be ineligible for accepting improper payments in high school, the NCAA announced that Duke would not be penalized for his participation."

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

And now we know what happened with the SOI.  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try to imagine the hype on hand with 5-7 days global modeling coming into focus on something like the '93 Superstorm. It would be every bit on par with a Cat 5 coming into South Florida.

 

Also considering how much more dependant people are on electrical heat / HVACs versus even 26 years ago. Most people still had wood stoves and fireplaces. Imagine facing two weeks without power as much of Appalachia and the Piedmont did following that event.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

And now we know what happened with the SOI.  :D

Yeah after that system it spiked up again :) 

Date Tahiti (hPa) Darwin (hPa) Daily Contribution 30 day Av. SOI 90 day Av. SOI
9 Feb 2019 1011.34 1007.10 -2.40 0.20 2.22
8 Feb 2019 1010.44 1007.85 -10.33 0.04 2.37
7 Feb 2019 1010.46 1007.30 -7.59 0.30 2.58
6 Feb 2019 1011.21 1006.15 1.54 0.56 2.73
5 Feb 2019 1011.44 1006.60 0.48 0.36 2.70

 

 

Tahiti  French Polynesia to Darwin  Northern Territory  Australia   Google Maps.png

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We want it as sunny and bright as possible in Darwin. The rains must fall upon Tahiti. 

giphy.gif 

If whatever that is around Melanesia would go ahead and go away, 

Although the Fv3 may be trying to pop the portal to the other dimension with all its sub 1000mb lows:

giphy.gif 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watching the AAFL games this year? If so, which team are you rooting for? For me, I'm rooting for Atlanta due to how close it is to East TN and former Vol Matt Simms is the starting QB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Runman292 said:

Anyone watching the AAFL games this year? If so, which team are you rooting for? For me, I'm rooting for Atlanta due to how close it is to East TN and former Vol Matt Simms is the starting QB.

I’m rooting for the Memphis Express, they’re full of VFL’s.  Rajon Neal, Pig Howard, and Corey Vereen just to name a few!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

I’m rooting for the Memphis Express, they’re full of VFL’s.  Rajon Neal, Pig Howard, and Corey Vereen just to name a few!!

I'm just not willing to drive across the state to see a game in Memphis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Runman292 said:

I'm just not willing to drive across the state to see a game in Memphis.

  I wouldn’t either, I don’t plan on going to the games myself But I will keep up with Memphis just because of the number former Vols players they have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

not good for you guys or the OH river..a couple members are really crazy..here is the mean

384

 

   Certainly looks like a flooding concern with that depiction.  Looks like early spring setting in to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Cold fronts in the Philippines and now low(er) elevation snow in Hawaii.  Weird winter.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/Hawaii-recorded-what-may-be-the-lowest-elevation-13607099.php

The Pacific is absolutely wild right now. Watch the storm dive due almost due south:

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/#/animation?satellite=goes-west&end_datetime=latest&n_images=all&coverage=conus&channel=04&image_quality=gif&anim_method=javascript

(time-sensitive)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Ridge said:

That is wild.  That also means the EPS did a pretty nice job in digging out that trough there in the LR...now real time.  That is what is so maddening w the EPS.  Sometimes it is correct w digging that trough like it does.  Nice find.  Have to think we see some sort of trough amplification here like that before the cold is used up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Weathertree! Screensaver as requested:

 

download.png

I would cash in on this and trade it for the next 3 winters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×