Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 'Tis the Season Banter Thread 2018-2019

Carvers Gap

1 minute ago, tnweathernut said:

Hey, Bill.  That's what the pattern threads are for.  Banter is for all things non-weather related even though some of them touch on weather.  Even the pattern threads can get a little dicey at times when the weather isn't particularly exciting.

the pattern thread is full of negative banter and cliff jumping, that is the point for me the models are discussed into the ground and the real weather is almost never mentioned......

1 minute ago, Blue Ridge said:

define "real weather"...

what is happening outside, the radar showing where precip is falling, the front lines showing where fronts are the animations showing where stuff is moving.......honestly asking what is the real weather is part of my points,you seriously needed to ask that?

1 minute ago, BillT said:

the pattern thread is full of negative banter and cliff jumping, that is the point for me the models are discussed into the ground and the real weather is almost never mentioned......

My guess is everyone is just tired of chasing unicorns.  Virtually every expert is being proven wrong at every step of the way.  We have discussed the pattern at length in the last month, in addition to following the models every day for the entire winter.  We have very little (board wide) to show for it. 

I think we are at the point where looking back will likely end up the most fascinating thing to do to see where everyone went wrong.  For snow lovers though, it pretty much just sucks.  I think the cliff dives are appropriate, and when the weather is boring there's usually a lot more banter, just the way it goes.  This is still the best forum on American Weather and the best platform for weather, IMO.

Just now, BillT said:

what is happening outside, the radar showing where precip is falling, the front lines showing where fronts are the animations showing where stuff is moving.......honestly asking what is the real weather is part of my points,you seriously needed to ask that?

We have an observation thread.  Real weather is posted there on a regular basis.  Everything else is just educated guesses as to where we will be come observation time.

5 minutes ago, BillT said:

Ah yes, 41 and sunny is positively riveting content for a banter thread.

Discussing short-range, hi-res forecast model trends (and comparing/contrasting to mid- and long-range trends) is part of the process. That is "real weather," and our crew discusses it at as high a level as you'll find.

4 minutes ago, BillT said:

how is anybody proven "wrong" BEFORE the storm even arrives????   

They aren't.  Maybe this ends up being better than advertised.  That said, the trends we have all been following have been poor the last 48-72 hours.  When you get inside 36 hours and the NAM (a pretty good short range model) blanks the state outside the mountains and the RGEM cuts meager totals in half, it might be time to liquidate your interest.  Doing that, you can at least set yourself up for the potential (albeit small) for a pleasant surprise.

Sigh, honestly I just find it as a matter of throwing a laugh in a relatively disappointing trend. Maybe some would disagree but I like having some comic relief in every thread to different degrees depending on the topic of course. I'm not an educated hobbyist and I'm certainly far from being a met but I could probably contribute more than I do. I leave a lot of the analysis and critical thinking to Carver and Jeff etc. There is plenty of valuable information in the threads if you look for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BillT said:

not trying to tell anybody how or what to post, i do enjoy humor, and enjoy very much watching storms as they evolve which is easy to do in todays world......

No doubt.  I think if this upcoming system was looking better instead of worse we'd ALL be checking satellite and radar, along with everything else one looks at when a system is coming.  

LOL washer disintegration is right up there with taking a baseball bat to the fax machine printer in Office Space. Yup, definitely this event!

2 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

This event as it has unfolded over the past several days in video form:

UPDATE regarding Wednesday: Is it the Denial or Bargaining stage of grief. It's over!

• Haha 2