• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 'Tis the Season Banter Thread 2018-2019

Carvers Gap

We gotta get some cold air in here. I walked outside this morning and thought man...it's chilly. Looked at the temp and it was 37. It is January 9 and 37 felt chilly. I'm over these marginal "will it, won't it" set ups. 

What happened to clippers making to the TN valley? High of 28, low of 17 and 2-4" statewide, more in the mts. It seems like you used to be able to get one per winter or very other winter, even if you got nothing else. 

Starting to think that Huntsville needs to be getting snow, or at least s. central TN  before I even pay attention. 

On a positive note it has been a beautiful week. Thankful for clear skies and dry weather for a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching Tennessee hammer Missouri on their own floor was even more beautiful than those fantasy runs. Can't stand Mizzou!

Auburn opens conference play on the road tonight. Good luck @jaxjagman !

Kansas hosts TCU tonight. KU has lifted the redshirt for Agbaji. TCU at home should be a low-risk test, except for how poorly we played last game...

Regarding the GFS Para FV3, apparently the GFS Op is getting more attention with the data issue. Probably favor GFS Op over new one. ECMWF still most favored of course.

• Like 1

The d10 Euro (yep, I am in banter with this), bout to drive Holston's cold air home w a stalled piece of energy hanging back over Louisiana.  Might be one of my favorite storm set-ups.  Prob won't work that way...but several models showing some big hitters after d10.

Basketball...Alexander has been huge with his rebounding.  The lane is his.  That guy can ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

One of the prettiest fantasy runs I've seen in a while:

giphy.gif 

This would be a great birthday with for me.  My birthday is Jan 25th.  When I was a child, my parents asked what I wanted for my birthday and my answer was always... "a big snowstorm."  We got a decent snow one time on my birthday...I had the chicken pox and wasn't allowed to go play in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing of any observational or speculative value. I am really hoping this storm comes in low and the dry slot is overblown at the onset of the storm. As of now in order here it looks like snow showers early Saturday morning before it dries out and remains overcast for the rest of the morning and afternoon. Maybe I record a few tenths of an inch. This is followed by precipitation filling in again during the evening starting as a mix and transitioning to rain by midnight. Sunday is entirely characterized by steady temps in the mid 30's with rain showers and a lot of cursing the sky. (lol) Just as things begin to dry out early on Monday a few snow showers pass by with lingering flurries up until noon on Monday amounting to a dusting. Eh, I'll take it.

Son has a gymnastics meet in Chicago next weekend.Leaving Thursday, looks like a good system coming through next weekend,hopefully i  can see some snow.This will be the 3rd straight year going there,last year just saw some flakes,two years ago we walked around the zoo without a jacket,maybe three years will be a charm?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

I can't remember the last time I was so nervous about a football game. Go Chiefs!

We may be offering virtual snow chasing on TV at Arrowhead too.

This should be the best game of the weekend.The Colts are 10-1 the last 11 games after a poor start.KC don't need to the Colts to get off to a fast start and take the crowd out of the game,Arrowhead is by far the loudest of all stadiums.Good luck,Jeff !!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Have y'all ever noticed that we sometimes get in winter patterns, where we get a storm around the same time each month? They don't always work out the same, but they're there?

Dec 9-10 and now this month.

Dec 21: 

12 21 18 storm vort.png

Jan 21:

giphy.gif 

Me and CG had a talk about this a while back, it is pretty interesting.  Seems like we’ve had several events where it happened in consecutive years as well.  I’ll often wonder how the different storms can be so similar though.  It’s looking pretty juicy for late January I must say.  I’ll have to go back through the archives and see what type of storms we’ve had in that timeframe im the past few years.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, nrgjeff said:

I can't remember the last time I was so nervous about a football game. Go Chiefs!

We may be offering virtual snow chasing on TV at Arrowhead too.

Congrats on your win.I'm rooting for you the rest of the way.Your D though was pretty outstanding,the colts TE's crush teams,well played taking them out of the game.:thumbsup:

Edit:I forgot to give Mahomes credit,that dude is awesome.Good luck the rest of the way,pulling for your team man

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Was catching glimpses of the Vols basketball earlier and it looked iffy. Glad we won in the end!

KC won, so hoping Jeff only focuses on the good for snow potential for next weekend and after! ;) 

Sure we could fail, but KC won. Maybe defeating the Colts broke I-70s hold on the snow? 

Scored 9 during the last forty seconds....Admiral drained a three and one of the truly great TN runs to finish a game began.  Florida hit nine threes during the first half.  TN buckled down and play possession basketball during the second half.  Florida played a great game.  Tonight though was just a gritty, gritty win on the road in the SEC.  First win since 2012 there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Scored 9 during the last forty seconds....Admiral drained a three and one of the truly great TN runs to finish a game began.  Florida hit nine threes during the first half.  TN buckled down and play possession basketball during the second half.  Florida played a great game.  Tonight though was just a gritty, gritty win on the road in the SEC.  First win since 2012 there.

We thumped Georgia.Might have been the best game of the year,We stopped the 3point shots and went more inside.Said it before the loss of Herron was a big blow for us.We play Ky next Saturday,so we'll see if this win carries on

• Like 2