Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for the Midlands of South Carolina
and the Central Savannah River area of Georgia.

.DAY ONE...Today and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

A strong storm system will cross the Southeast U.S. this weekend,
as cold surface high pressure extends in from the north. Widespread
rain is expected and there is the potential for some wintry
precipitation over the northern and central Midlands of South
Carolina.

Oh damn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Icon is a crush job for foothills and SVA on 18z. Has low sliding by MYR and up toward outer banks. Beginning to think from a consensus standpoint outer banks or just a little south from there will be the track. The Gulf Stream debate could be had for where the lows like to travel when they get to that area.

It also has the weakest high i've seen today (1034)

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jburns said:

Here's a reason for the difference in GSP and RAL.

RAL

The low subsequently will move across the Southeast
Coastal Plain in a Miller A-type configuration.

GSP

low
tracks along the Gulf coast/S GA/FL Panhandle, likely evolving into
a Miller B configuration 

What in the...??? :arrowhead: 

8 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Just had a chance to look at the 18z NAM. If the CAD and dew points are correct, this will be a major storm not just for the western/central folks but for folks into the coastal plain.   

I gave up on this a while back. I've got nothing to lose its gonna rain unless the storm trends colder. I'm keeping one eye on it but really rooting for you guys out west.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jburns said:

Here's a reason for the difference in GSP and RAL.

GSP

The low subsequently will move across the Southeast
Coastal Plain in a Miller A-type configuration.

RAL

low
tracks along the Gulf coast/S GA/FL Panhandle, likely evolving into
a Miller B configuration 

Sorry, I originally had that backwards.  Fixed now.

Remember back when neighboring offices would coordinate? Sheesh. 

• Haha 1

I mentioned this earlier but it got swamped in the discussion.  I think one of the reasons RAH isn't sold yet is surface temperatures.  The surface temps just don't look that great during the event.  There will be a lot of melting and cold rain.   The cold temps really don't get entrenched until Monday night/Tuesday.

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

I mentioned this earlier but it got swamped in the discussion.  I think one of the reasons RAH isn't sold yet is surface temperatures.  The surface temps just don't look that great during the event.  There will be a lot of melting and cold rain.   The cold temps really don't get entrenched until Monday night/Tuesday.

I agree with them in Triangle but not Forsyth and Guilford

• Like 3

Just now, Solak said:

OK - I'm more than a little confused about the difference between RAH and GSP. GSP says a Miller-A, and RAH says a Miller-B transfer. Which is it, NWS?

I hate this, but I think we need to take them seriously. Models would argue that at least the NW Piedmont gets warning criteria totals, but they are really good mets. I hope they're wrong but have to stay cautious until they jump on board.     

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

I've also seen numerous times where bitter cold CAD was foretasted, then the dreaded warm nose came out of nowhere and a sleetfest ensued for the duration of the event

This remains my concern, a la Feb 2014. VERY similar feel to this storm for the upstate; long duration, high QPF, marginal temps, colder trend on approach, buy in from all models. But come storm time, mostly sleet and zr. WAA was stronger and faster than anticipated. In fact we've mentioned that many times in our post storm "what did we learn" threads, to watch out for WAA, despite the idea that wedges can be strong and stubborn. That's how I see the upstate here, probably all sleet and zr, except favored areas closer to the border. Hoping for a colder surprise though.

Actually what I would wish for is the I-20 corridor to be play. Altruistically because Eastern ATL to CAE is due, and selfishly so it would move me in the colder part and I could be mostly snow with plenty of wiggle room!:snowing:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oconeexman said:

This guy on Fake Book!! 

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

I am growing more concerned for areas in Western NC, because the model data continues to paint widespread 15-25” amounts across there. This storm will be a two-part system and one that will most likely bring crippling snowfall to many areas from Interstate 85 and to the north. I even think that South Raleigh may get some snow out of this setup. 

Some areas will likely get 20"+ of snowfall from this system. This will be a long-duration storm for many areas and lasting nearly 48 hours. Winds are expected in the 15-25mph range and some gusts could reach 50mph at times. This is a borderline "Blizzard" for Western NC. There will be some areas that mix with or change to sleet and freezing rain as well. Please get prepared for this storm now!

2 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

This guy on Fake Book!! 

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

I am growing more concerned for areas in Western NC, because the model data continues to paint widespread 15-25” amounts across there. This storm will be a two-part system and one that will most likely bring crippling snowfall to many areas from Interstate 85 and to the north. I even think that South Raleigh may get some snow out of this setup. 

Some areas will likely get 20"+ of snowfall from this system. This will be a long-duration storm for many areas and lasting nearly 48 hours. Winds are expected in the 15-25mph range and some gusts could reach 50mph at times. This is a borderline "Blizzard" for Western NC. There will be some areas that mix with or change to sleet and freezing rain as well. Please get prepared for this storm now!

I like it!

• Haha 2