Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

3 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Of course the Euro is beautiful, but we still had north trends on the before rock-solid FV3 and the wishy washy Canadian.

I don't like that all of a sudden we have this northern stream energy to throw a wrench in this deal. That's going to cause madness the next 48 hours.

Reeling in these storms in the south is never an easy deal. We just need to be patient, and refuse to freak out over every small model oscillation. Keep in mind that the overall big-picture has remained remarkably steady on the models for several days. Hopefully we'll be preparing for glory come this time Friday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The bigger concern would probably be that ATL might be in bigger trouble than anyone initially thought.  The fact the Euro wants to push snow that far into Georgia gives me doubts that freezing temps don’t reach down there.  Right now not one forecasting outlet is giving more than a remote chance it does

Yea this could be a scary storm for someone with so much moisture...It should def be a concern especially given how the models often downplay sfc temps in a CAD setup. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Looking over on the southernwx site, someone just posted the RGEM and its ensembles... Several have the HP at 1042-1043mb...

RGEM is wayyyyyy our of its range and I would caution you that it is always one of the colder models, sometimes overdoes the cold.

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

RGEM is wayyyyyy our of its range and I would caution you that it is always one of the colder models, sometimes overdoes the cold.

Why do they bother wasting what I would assume are scarce computational resources in running a model so far outside of its effective domain?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Looking over on the southernwx site, someone just posted the RGEM and its ensembles... Several have the HP at 1042-1043mb...

On the main run of the RGEM the high over Iowa is at 1038 at the end of the run. There is a 1042 high, but that is sitting over Idaho.

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Euro ensembles mean is up. 

310ADEEC-6D90-425F-A68B-09B33A065C6E.thumb.png.18fa0ad0278a55db693c9d4ef046d1c4.png

The fact that this is an ensemble mean is absurd. As much as I want to get deliriously excited about this I think we need to remember that we will for sure be dealing with WAA at some point, no way we will get such a juiced up storm and not have it. WAA is very hard to forecast and many times it comes it stronger than anticipated. 

Having said that it is beautiful to see these runs continue over and over 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

The fact that this is an ensemble mean is absurd. As much as I want to get deliriously excited about this I think we need to remember that we will for sure be dealing with WAA at some point, no way we will get such a juiced up storm and not have it. WAA is very hard to forecast and many times it comes it stronger than anticipated. 

i know we keep saying it but jan 2017 storm had the ensembles showing insane totals just like these and the waa screwed many of us.  expecting a loooot of sleet with this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

We need Kuechera ensemble mean snow maps.