Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

2 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

I hope that you’re right but the trends are definitely going in the wrong direction for us.  

They're not really.  We just aren't getting in on the big snow totals.  There is still a good shot at a winter storm here.  It will likely be mixy, but that's to be expected, honestly.  If we have a CAD situation like it looks like now, it will overperform.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, eyewall said:

It is a near certainty that it is over for RDU.  I just hope I can find some time to sneak over to the Triad. This is a west of I-85 storm.

If the NAM is on to the colder temps (better CAD setup), I think we can get a significant storm. The question is do we get a 2009 storm (miss for us) or a 2002 storm (major ice storm). 

4 minutes ago, eyewall said:

It is a near certainty that it is over for RDU.  I just hope I can find some time to sneak over to the Triad. This is a west of I-85 storm.

A certainty 120 hours out? I get the pessimism if I was talking about Johnston or SE Wake but I still think North and West Wake plus durham and a lot of orange are still in this. 

• Like 2

Raleigh will be in the running for 1-3 inches of front end thump before switching to... something else. Learn from the NE from that mid Nov storm... that front end thump can stymie even the most experienced models and forecasters, especially with a solid CAD in place. Might not happen, but I’d keep an eye on that possibility. Lastly, I would not make any absolute statements about surface temps until we’ve seen a few cycles of the nam, raleigh still firmly capable of a significant sleet/ice event in my opinion

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Raleigh will be in the running for 1-3 inches of front end thump before switching to... something else. Learn from the NE from that mid Nov storm... that front end thump can stymie even the most experienced models and forecasters, especially with a solid CAD in place. Might not happen, but I’d keep an eye on that possibility. Lastly, I would not make any absolute statements about surface temps until we’ve seen a few cycles of the nam, raleigh still firmly capable of a significant sleet/ice event in my opinion

Thanks for the fresh update.  As I recall front end thumps don't work out so well for our area usually.  Back to the sw piedmont usually has better luck.  The moisture always seem to get here too late and not before the nose

1 hour ago, griteater said:

12z EPS Clown....similar largescale footprint as previous run, but higher totals (more consistency I would assume)

iMJW2n8.png

Wait, what? Is that a 12-15 inch mean on the EPS ensembles? Trying to work here people, how did this happen? lol.  

I don't think I've ever seen that kind of thing. Beautiful. 

• Like 1