• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

Per GFS, I’m looking at anywhere between 1.75”-2.25” of QPF. It is unreal. The ground around here is saturated already. Our normal rainfall for the year is 48.50”. We have blown past that. I’m already at 65” for the year and fully expect to hit 68” before 2018 is said and done. That is insane.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tramadoc said:

Per GFS, I’m looking at anywhere between 1.75”-2.25” of QPF. It is unreal. The ground around here is saturated already. Our normal rainfall for the year is 48.50”. We have blown past that. I’m already at 65” for the year and fully expect to hit 68” before 2018 is said and done. That is insane.

You might get over 70 buddy

• Like 1

Yeah, as others have alluded to, the NAM, and it’s 3km nest, usually have the most accurate depiction with CAD. The reason? I think it’s all resolution- since CAD is driven by topography, you need to accurately represent that topography to accurately model a CAD! The lower resolution of globals see mountains as 25x25 km raised lumps... while NAM and other higher resolution has the resolution to pick out individual mountains, valleys, ridges, and peaks. I think that is really important in terms of accurately modeling what kind of cold air bleeds down from the parent high, and how long it sticks around.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ILMRoss said:

Yeah, as others have alluded to, the NAM, and it’s 3km nest, usually have the most accurate depiction with CAD. The reason? I think it’s all resolution- since CAD is driven by topography, you need to accurately represent that topography to accurately model a CAD! The lower resolution of globals see mountains as 25x25 km raised lumps... while NAM and other higher resolution has the resolution to pick out individual mountains, valleys, ridges, and peaks. I think that is really important in terms of accurately modeling what kind of cold air bleeds down from the parent high, and how long it sticks around.

The canadian always seems to do well with that too, not sure why. 

19 minutes ago, jburns said:

Let me add my warning. As we get closer to the event, posts like this will find you on the naughty list.

Lol for the telling the truth? Wow this is funny. I mention how models have trended warmer, which is a logical observation, and now I am the bad guy here. Science be damned, right. Can things change, sure. Do they often change in a positive direction south of VA, NO. 

The canadian always seems to do well with that too, not sure why. 

I don’t know how much of that is the Canadian’s depiction of the CAD, or its general cold bias (it always seems to have the coldest temps in general of all the storms I’ve tracked around here). When I still lived in Wilmington, that model was my saving grace a lot lol
  • Like 1