Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

6 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

That map matches up well with climo..... tight gradient through the Charlotte area. Seen it many, many times over my 53 years. (I-85 cut-off)

Looks about right given the track as far as the r/s line is concerned.

All I know at this point is a lot of something is going to fall from the sky.  It has been wet.  Wettest fall on record.  It has been raining all weekend here.  If the clipper delivers a stout HP overhead like the models are trending toward, we'll be good to go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shahroz98 said:

How does Metro Atlanta look in all of this ? Are we sitting out for this one ?

The wedge appears to me to build in way too late for them.  I could be wrong but simply looking at timing it seems they’d precipitate for too long prior to the wedging so it would be 35-38 and rain.  It’s still very far out though.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, griteater said:

My own opinion is that the GFS isn't nearly cold enough at the sfc if we get this setup in the end.  This is a sick cold air damming setup here

Agree.. looking at sounding at hr 180 verbatim when the low is approaching KILM, you can see the warm nose clearly.. then looking at the winds at the 850mb level, you can see the SE flow we don't want.

gfs_2018120212_fh180_sounding_35.71N_79_08W.thumb.png.89c9a2c4d371602dcb19402cbd781cf8.png

gfs_mslp_uv850_seus_31.png

The crazy thing, is how cold the FV3 GFS is already at the surface. It won't take a perfect track. A less than ideal track would make for a lot more sleet than modeled I imagine, because there are so often sneaky warm layers with transfers. Even if things trend pretty far north, we should get something on the front end, which is a big bonus. You know you're in a good spot when you're equally worried about suppression as you are it coming to far north.