• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

Brad P. posted this earlier today and I think it very well explains what could go wrong (or right) when it comes to model accuracy. We still are technically 5 days out. Climatology speaking, the odds are against a blockbuster winter storm in December. It would be a rarity. But there is still so much time and cliff diving is premature. As is reeling a particular model in. I’m just excited to have a possible storm to track, that for the most part looks promising for a lot of people.

nws.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

Brad P. posted this earlier today and I think it very well explains what could go wrong (or right) when it comes to model accuracy. We still are technically 5 days out. Climatology speaking, the odds are against a blockbuster winter storm in December is very rare. But there is still so much time and cliff diving is premature. As is reeling a particular model in. I’m just excited to have a possible storm to track, that for the most part looks promising for a lot of people.

nws.jpg

Nice.  That can also be applied to a storm thread. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, bess said:

We have lost storms like this before and they have all came back at some degree.. time will tell.

Most of those are the northern stream energy diving down. It loses the whole storm and brings it back. We haven't lost the storm. Just ticking nw. Usually those don't come back unfortunately.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Now you're being realistic! Hell I'm in the extreme nw corner of SC and I have one foot over the cliff.

Where at? I'm between walhalla and seneca. Man I wish everyone would stop taking these operational runs to heart. We are 4.5 days away..the ensembles are in good agreement. Starting honing in on specifics Thursday night/Friday morning. The few Cad events so far this Fall have been rather stout and stingy to give in. None were over 1040 if I recall correctly. I like Oconee/Pickens/Gville areas getting a nice little event here.

• Like 2

We still have days of model runs. I personally think the high will be stronger and a stronger CAD will materialize (in the models).

RAH even discussed their thoughts that there would be wide zones of precip types. The last few model runs have not shown much ice (mostly snow/rain). I think that will change in the models in the coming days.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

This run is a lot more realistic. I have a feeling a lot of hopes and dreams are going to be crushed later tonight as well. Amped and warm seems to be the trend here. It makes sense historically.

@TARHEELPRORGRAMMER88,, Dear Sir, You & I have had these "discos" where you have been a "EEYORE",, (no disrespect intended),  come on guy, It's a El Nino, lets bet against "Climo"..

(You know I been dead on these past couple Winters for ILM).. We gotten "something".. 

That said Look at OUR OWN NWS forecast, (long Range), when they start mentioning P-Type Issues, This far out, We just need to cast the Right Bait too bring it in..  ;)

**The
fact that there is split flow will lead to some interesting and
highly uncertain weather in the east over the weekend. In classic
form the southern branch will lead to cyclogenesis over the Gulf and
then East Coast while the northern branch helps to keep cool air
locked in place. This far south it just looks like a wet weekend
though some p-type issues cannot be ruled out inland. Deep
moisture will be off the coast according to most guidance but the
lagging shortwave energy could be strong enough to wring out a few
sprinkles (or flurries??). The GFS idea of a cutoff southern branch
feature and a new coastal low is relatively new at least this far
south. ***

Sounds promising considering Our Storm is this far out..

YOU KNOW HOW Conservative OUR local NWS is! just mentioning "p-type" issues this far out! should be,, well,, use your own judgement..

I say,,Let it RUN! Mor Suppression! lets reeel this Sucka IN!

To Our Weenies inland,, when ILM mentions "p-type" issues, your in the game!

Either cold rain for us via WAA, or ("warm nose" issues) are Often our Downfall here in ILM because we are "on the Ocean", Or the LP placement is too close to the coast, though We can get the "backside" P-types most often..

• Haha 1

Ensemble means, people.  Even then, you'll get hiccups.

I feel like this is following how every winter storm goes, weigh climo heavily is smart decision for now. The euro thermal profile on op run was concerning at 12z but the ensemble looks better. I’m in the northwestern foothills and I’m not comfortable right now with temps. Feel like we could be looking at ZR even here. FV3 is dream run