Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

1 hour ago, Queencitywx said:

I remember Eric Thomas was talking about a major event almost 6 days out. 

Just catching up with the models today.  WOW! I'm a little taken back.  Again, I've only been on the boards and looking at models for about 8 years now.  I've yet to see what's being modeled so consistently for my back yard. The ensembles have such a nice damming signature (strong) through the storm now.  Thank you all for the great play by play and break down. 

I remember the same think about Eric Thomas.  He went on air several days early and pretty much said, Charlotte is going to get nailed by a big winter storm.  And he was right.  If I recall, that was also an El-nino year with a southern wave.  They seem pretty comparable.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wow said:

2/2004 as I recall it was modeled always as a good precip maker with temp issues but in the last 72 hrs it trended colder and colder with each run. 

The February 2004 Storm is my ALL TIME PERSONAL BEST Snowstorm. We got 17" from that monster. I remember tracking it and it ALWAYS showed heavy totals on the forecast maps, however, it ended up being colder and we got hit with a ULL at the end. Lake Wylie, SC (a few miles down the road from me) got 24"+! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Just catching up with the models today.  WOW! I'm a little taken back.  Again, I've only been on the boards and looking at models for about 8 years now.  I've yet to see what's being modeled so consistently for my back yard. The ensembles have such a nice damming signature (strong) through the storm now.  Thank you all for the great play by play and break down. 

I remember the same think about Eric Thomas.  He went on air several days early and pretty much said, Charlotte is going to get nailed by a big winter storm.  And he was right.  If I recall, that was also an El-nino year with a southern wave.  They seem pretty comparable.  

Agreed...lots of models converging here...:)

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Now that you mention it, you might be right! It’ll be great having 4 runs , when we get in range!

It's weird, the off hour Euro only goes out to 90, but the off hour EPS goes out to 144

At 144 the 18z EPS looks really good.  Low in the northern gulf south of LA.  1038mb High draped solidly from Iowa to PA.  0 deg at 850mb runs from NE GA to a point half way between CLT and CAE, over to Wilmington.  

The wave is a touch stronger this run, but the NE confluence is solid.  It's not perfect for everyone, but it's pretty textbook for many areas.  Hard to complain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

It's weird, the off hour Euro only goes out to 90, but the off hour EPS goes out to 144

At 144 the 18z EPS looks really good.  Low in the northern gulf south of LA.  1038mb High draped solidly from Iowa to PA.  0 deg at 850mb runs from NE GA to a point half way between CLT and CAE, over to Wilmington.  

The wave is a touch stronger this run, but the NE confluence is solid.  It's not perfect for everyone, but it's pretty textbook for many areas.  Hard to complain

How does it look over SC vs the 12z?

I've been sniffing around these forums since winter of 11/12 and this storm is already in the top tier of consistency in the long range compared with previous storms. In my experience, it joins the echelon of 2/13/14 and 1/23/16 in terms of seeing a signal that somebody was going to get smashed 8 days beforehand.

I've heard a theory that sometimes these potential "big dogs" can get sniffed out very quickly and show more consistency than smaller-scale, more nuanced storms. Which makes sense- bigger systems would probably have larger parent shortwaves and would be easier to model. 

In any case, looks like a fun system. One thing I will say that I've noticed- The high is nice, but I'm really not very impressed with thicknesses or the depth of the cold air. We're not negotiating with record cold after, to put it lightly. I would watch trends with mid level temperatures. That being said though, still a very strong signal this far out.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I've been sniffing around these forums since winter of 11/12 and this storm is already in the top tier of consistency in the long range compared with previous storms. In my experience, it joins the echelon of 2/13/14 and 1/23/16 in terms of seeing a signal that somebody was going to get smashed 8 days beforehand.

I've heard a theory that sometimes these potential "big dogs" can get sniffed out very quickly and show more consistency than smaller-scale, more nuanced storms. Which makes sense- bigger systems would probably have larger parent shortwaves and would be easier to model. 

In any case, looks like a fun system. One thing I will say that I've noticed- The high is nice, but I'm really not very impressed with thicknesses or the depth of the cold air. We're not negotiating with record cold after, to put it lightly. I would watch trends with mid level temperatures. That being said though, still a very strong signal this far out.

The Euro probably looks the best in the lead up. But no follow up cold air is going to be problematic.

• Like 1