Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

12 minutes ago, jtgus said:

Where is the ULL currently?

There are at least two parts to it. The first part is the original west coast energy that spawned our slp (now off the NC coast), and that is being sheared as it traverses the mountains. The second part is dropping down the backside of the trough and the 2 will begin to interact.

nam3km_z500_vort_eus_fh9-13.gif

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I'm afraid the RGEM could be right as we have steady ZR in Colfax as we speak.  Temp right at 32 and trees are getting weighted. 

TW

I hear ya and share your concern.  Power already flickered once tonight.  The only positive to the wind was that most of the snow weight blew out of the trees earlier today.  If we get a couple tenths of ZR that wind will quickly work against us.  

Light ZR here in Kvegas / Walkertown.

32 minutes ago, WeatherHawk said:

Hard to believe that the moderators and other folks are having conversation on the observation thread about Jim Cantore's height...it's crazy...if any of us did that we'd be out.  Anyway...it's snowing like crazy here and my dog got stuck in the snow...she disappeared into a drift :)

I'll tell you what. You go and find the post or posts of any moderator that was talking about Jim Cantore's height and I will discipline them severely. I'll wait.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ULL's are so tough to forecast. I remember when NWS was calling for 1-2" and when it got going, they came back with the famous "there is a fly in the ointment" in their Forecast Disscusion and we ended up with thundersnow and 10-12" inches on the ground, when it was all said and done.  This was from the early 2000's. Do you remember that storm @Queencitywx? I believe we were on the Wright Weather at the time. 

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

A visual of the upper low dropping down thru Nebraska and Kansas - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=atlpac-wide&product=wv-mid

What  do you think from what you are seeing, with the formation of the ULL? Does this thing have some horsepower? Or do you think we will just get on and off snow showers? It will be interesting to see where this sets up shop at...

Just now, griteater said:

It's overnight into early morning for Western Carolinas

Grit, 

Thank you so very much for all your analysis and PBP. You are a Redtag in my book...all day-EVERY DAY! How much did you end up with in your backyard? Hoping this ULL holds a good surprise for us (or at least the ones who got the shaft on round one). Thanks in advance! 

34 minutes ago, jburns said:

I'll tell you what. You go and find the post or posts of any moderator that was talking about Jim Cantore's height and I will discipline them severely. I'll wait.

Yeah, that was me that originally asked the question. Constant lurker. Infrequent commenter. Was bouncing around between threads and didn’t realize I was on the Obs thread. A couple pics of our members with him piqued my interest.

13 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

What  do you think from what you are seeing, with the formation of the ULL? Does this thing have some horsepower? Or do you think we will just get on and off snow showers? It will be interesting to see where this sets up shop at...

I think we'll see radar break out nicely across E TN / NE GA / NC / northern half of SC overnight into early morning and spreading east thru the day.  For you and I, soundings are sketchy for snow, but the timing is good (night and early morning) and it may be just cold enough.  I'd keep expectations low on amounts....seeing flakes fly and maybe some light accumulations

• Thanks 1

ULL are fun but frustrating....models tend to do pretty badly with them as far as how intense they can be....like several have mentioned some big snows have happened in NC due to a ULL dropping in like this.....you just never know what they will do for sure. No one should expect more than say 1-2" but there could easily be a few spots that win out and get over that.....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sctvman said:

Watching 2 different stations in-house models (WCBD one of them), and both show snow coming through the CAE area around 6-7pm Monday, eventually heading toward the inland counties like Orangeburg, maybe northern Dorchester.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did they mention anything about duration?  I'm guessing it'd be only an hour or two of snow, if it did come fruition.  If it's an ULL, then one never knows how it'll transpire.

• Like 1

Did they mention anything about duration?  I'm guessing it'd be only an hour or two of snow, if it did come fruition.  If it's an ULL, then one never knows how it'll transpire.

It was a CHS station so they probably couldn’t care as much about the weather in Columbia, but probably an hour or two.

• jburns unpinned this topic