Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

35 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Looks like some areas in the foothills accomplished this in 2010-2011 (Boxing Day storm and the January 2011 storm).  Also, some areas of the NW Piedmont did so in 2009-2010 (12/29 storm and the 1/30 storm).  I suspect several locations accomplished this feat during the winter of 1986-1987.

I was thinking 86-87(actually I was fairly certain about that one) but was on the fence about the others. I usually go on the premise of you usually get one shot at a good one around here per year and we’re not even really in winter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I was thinking 86-87(actually I was fairly certain about that one) but was on the fence about the others. I usually go on the premise of you usually get one shot at a good one around here per year and we’re not even really in winter.

Yeah, it’s pretty rare to get two 6”ers.  You can find a lot of examples of multiple 2-4” storms, but not many multiple 6” storms.  6” storms are “big storms” in NC outside the mountains, so they don’t happen that commonly.

1 minute ago, SouthCentralWakeCo said:

True, but it is interesting. Didn't the NAM verify the best for the last nights/today's band of snow/sleet/freezing rain? Not sure, just asking. 

There were some people on the edges of the transition zones in which the NAM seemed to give the most accurate forecast but as a whole it was pretty bad for this event compared to the other guidance.

• jburns unpinned this topic