Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

6 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Leaving for Blowing Rock in the am, considered going further south to Black Mountain but am really worried about pingers cutting back on totals.  Also considered Spruce Pine but the roads may be sketch coming back on Tuesday especially if there is a lot of sleet.

Spruce Pine could be do able, I know once you get to Burnsville Hwy 19 is  4 lane limited access all the way to 26. 

36 has the low over Savannah. 1033mb high (1mb weaker than 18z) situated over the Scranton/Pocono Mountains region. Heavy snow  foothills of NC/ entering SW VA. Mix further south. CLT would look like rain, although I don’t have a sounding to verify.

low is moving along just a little faster than 18z

9 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Leaving for Blowing Rock in the am, considered going further south to Black Mountain but am really worried about pingers cutting back on totals.  Also considered Spruce Pine but the roads may be sketch coming back on Tuesday especially if there is a lot of sleet.

They have a public park right in the middle of town with big sleigh riding hill. Ask tyler penland in mtn thread. Also some tanger outlets for wifey. Nice clean beatifull town

1 minute ago, NCSNOW said:

Is the 3k lower resolution than 12 k, which one is more trustworthy from past expierence. Use to just have the eta, now its 3k 12k y2k lol.

3km is the highest resolution I believe. And better to use with snow totals because it corrects for mixed precip better as far as I know. But I’m not sure of what it’s most effective range is.

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Is the 3k lower resolution than 12 k, which one is more trustworthy from past expierence. Use to just have the eta, now its 3k 12k y2k lol.

3k is your best bet in these instances. Which speaking of I was about to post the 34hr 3k has the low just a little further north up in southeastern AL/Panhandle of FL. Great moisture influx streaming up the Appalachians and into NC. Looks like snow for sure most of NC (CLT) included. 1034 HP sitting west of Harrisburg, PA.

9 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

FWIW 3km NAM still looking colder than 12km at 25.

Earlier runs of the NAM had the transition zone correct. Went through RDU's records for combination winter storms of date and magnitude and could not find anything. Whichever p-type you get, this will be downright historic!! 

• jburns unpinned this topic