Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

4 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Just being insane and watching from Amsterdam. Much more exciting than the weather here (though we have a few streets that are more exciting than weather). Speaking of updates, I've noticed on my social media feeds my friends seem to have no clue about this storm. Hopefully word gets out cause no matter what it's going to cause major headaches. 

That makes two of us watching from afar, though you are much farther away. Is it still unseasonably warm out in western Europe?

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

That makes two of us watching from afar, though you are much farther away. Is it still unseasonably warm out in western Europe?

It's getting back to normal now. Summer was brutal. Interestingly last year the snow threats in NC were mirroring the threats here. Looks like we have a week of moderate temps before the cold comes in, but due to being so close to the sea it takes a bit to get a good snow here. 

1 minute ago, burgertime said:

It's getting back to normal now. Summer was brutal. Interestingly last year the snow threats in NC were mirroring the threats here. Looks like we have a week of moderate temps before the cold comes in, but due to being so close to the sea it takes a bit to get a good snow here. 

Summer turned hot in August in New York and the early fall in the eastern U.S. was much warmer than normal. Hopefully, there will be some opportunities this winter for some good snowfall where you are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beanskip said:

I must say I'm developing quite the weather crush on the FV3 - it gets colder every run! This is how weather models are SUPPOSED to work! 

I was thinking the models would start doing that anyway just because of the setup. I'm leaning more towards that though I'm still sceptical of the QPF totals, but if storms have been overperforming then I guess it's possible. Just so used to those big QPF totals never actually panning out during winter storms in NC. 

• Like 1

Just now, burgertime said:

I was thinking the models would start doing that anyway just because of the setup. I'm leaning more towards that though I'm still sceptical of the QPF totals, but if storms have been overperforming then I guess it's possible. Just so used to those big QPF totals never actually panning out during winter storms in NC. 

I'm more skeptical of the cold than the QPF given we just had the wettest fall on record.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wake4est said:

They specifically mentioned in the afd that the NAM showed cold mid level layers and minimized a warm nose until later on. They cautioned clearly that things could be very different with minor changes.

Thats the thing, a few degrees one way or the other is gonna be huge for many people....even down my way a few degrees colder aloft and we could get several inches or more of snow/sleet. The flip side to that though is a few degrees warmer aloft and its sleet on top of above freezing surface temps well inland.....and all rain for us eastern folks. Need the suppressed track to win out, can not have the low right off the coast that never works out well for anyone other than the deep inland foothill areas. 

• Like 2

Just now, wxdawg10 said:

I think Allan mentioned earlier that alot of the moisture will get eaten up by dryer air as it moves into the piedmont and the storm won't really crank until sunday. This might cut some totals being and i'm not sure if models take this into account. 

Modeling does take moistening the atmosphere into effect 

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic