• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

Just off the 18z nam runs but it makes me feel like my whole theory behind the fact that these lows tend to favor traveling along the Gulf Stream may end up coming to fruition. This is obv one run and it’s not the best model in the world but it wouldn’t be shocking if this is the ultimate outcome track wise. I guess something in the atmosphere is relaxing today to let this thing climb a little more up the coast.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM SATURDAY TO NOON EST MONDAY... * WHAT...HEAVY MIXED PRECIPITATION EXPECTED. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 6 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE I-85 CORRIDOR, WITH 6 TO 10 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS CLOSE TO THE NORTH CAROLINA BORDER. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TENTH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH ARE EXPECTED. * WHERE...PORTIONS OF THE NORTH CAROLINA PIEDMONT AND A PORTION OF UPSTATE SOUTH CAROLINA ALONG THE STATE LINE. * WHEN...FROM 7 PM SATURDAY TO NOON MONDAY. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...TREE DAMAGE AND WIDESPREAD, PROLONGED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE DUE TO THE ICE. 

Why doesn't the GSP WSW language match up at all with the GSP current expected snowfall maps? Seems odd. 2-6 for the metro sounds very reasonable, but the mountains could easily exceed 6-10.

9 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Pretty big reduction in snow over N GA Mtns. though after a pretty long trend in the other direction. Substantially more ice and sleet. I’d rather miss completely than have anywhere near the ice that 12k NAM put out. Our forests would be devastated with that and the gusty winds expected.

The forecasts and models are all over the place. Warnings have gone out but point and click has no accumulation. CAD fo my area, at least is usually freezing rain or sleet, rarely snow. Not surprised but was hoping to get some heavy snow here - an inch of ice is quite a lot lol

16 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

Well, scratch my earlier freezing rain graphic with the 3k nam.  It got icy over the last few panels.

zr_acc.us_ma.png

And Union County NC where I live is lit up like a Christmas tree.  Few miles north to the Meck border and we are toast.  Ugh.  Just fired up the generator to make sure all is good and ready just in case.  As long as we don’t lose natural gas we will be good. 

1 minute ago, GunBlade said:

And Union County NC where I live is lit up like a Christmas tree.  Few miles north to the Meck border as we are toast.  Ugh.  Just fired up the generator to make sure all is good and ready just in case.  As long as we don’t lose natural gas we will be good. 

if we get frz rain rates will be heavy and temps marginal. these 1:1 frz rain maps likely won't even come close to verifying.

Everything seems to be trending towards your typical NC snowstorm.  If you are used to getting snow in these storms you are gonna get snow, if you are used to gettting rain you are gonna get rain.  If you are used to having no clue until the event is over guess what.... That means that area from Raleigh down to Charlotte where they never have any clue what you will actually end up with... yep they still have no idea what that area ends up with this time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

• jburns unpinned this topic