Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

30 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Pinch me, I will be headed to AVL tomorrow very early- if they get over 18" (and that seems to be a growing consensus) it will be the biggest snow storm ever there- also I have never personally seen that much snow in one storm.

You should be in a prime spot for this one. Actually I think most of the mountains could get a foot plus. 

2 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Yeah,  Not in that neck of the woods but find it strange for that one county sort out by itself to have a Watch.  Almost have to believe the adjacent counties to its west would also come under WSW

I agree it is strange, but I expect more counties to be added at some point. CAE is always more conservative. 

4 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

That good for us?

Not 100% sure honestly...but the forward lean might lead to more cold getting out in front of the main rain.  Which is why folks are already reporting certain conditions.  The high is going to pull it down into the moisture.  Also, vorticity has increased in the 500 level where the cold is coming from more than what was forecasted.  The low will continue to push in...its' the cold air we all need.

1 minute ago, ryan1234 said:

I agree it is strange, but I expect more counties to be added at some point. CAE is always more conservative. 

621am Disco:

Summary...Nearly all GFS and ECMWF ensemble members support
periods of frozen precipitation in the north including Lancaster
County. The threat timing is Saturday night into Monday evening.
Snow amounts of 1 to 3 inches are possible across northern
Lancaster county. Therefore, a winter weather advisory has been
issued for northern Lancaster county.

Farther south in the central and south sections that include
Columbia and Augusta there is less confidence of reaching advisory
or warning criteria. The possible frozen precipitation timing for
the central and south part is mainly Monday into Monday into
early Tuesday morning predominately associated with the cold
upper system.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, burgertime said:

This looks damn good. 12z RGM at 48 hours.....well before the storm is over. By the way I can't stress enough how SV is only $20 a month. Well worth the cost. 

5c0a8c4a111c4.png

It will be interested to see if that snow back in AR actually verifies. So far the system seems to a bit south of where forecasted and the ULL hasn't developed as strong yet which has caused many forecasts to bust in OK so far

1 minute ago, Hammer said:

Most have been quiet here in Cherokee County GA about this - indicating just rain. But the FV3 seems to show accumulations in the area. And I just saw a forecast map from a poster (AshvilleWX) here with up to 2”

What am I missing? Am I just being hopeful?

. Pro

I think they are expecting more of the 850 temps to cancel out.  We are still a good bit away from the actual event so the model observations occurring can still play a major role.  We just need to be mindful we are on the borderline and certain placements ahead of time to the north or south can shift something greatly in the longterm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mckinnonwg said:

The dew point analysis map is digging much deeper than the HRRR model is showing.  The HRRR model showed the 35 line a bit further back into Georgia but the analysis shows it stretched all the way down into the panhandle.  That is strong wedge IMO.

image.thumb.png.7a8719a405f4bfcfd05503ddeee6e4fd.png

My current DP is dead freezing... Right at 32

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, superjames1992 said:

Looks like it, which is somewhat odd since Little Rock isn't under an advisory of any sort with only a chance of a little snow/sleet at the end according to NWS.

Maybe it's on crack? I have no clue since I just have accumulation maps. Very strange indeed but usually RGM is money. 

• Thanks 1

• jburns unpinned this topic