Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

4 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

They pulled the trigger, the gun fired, and it scared them so they put the gun back in the holster until they know they have to shoot again. To be honest none of their maps have looked right to me for the storm they have basically had Charlotte getting more snow than some of the mountain areas

I’d love to see the faces of the night crew when they come in tonight to work on the AFD and maps and see what was put out this afternoon.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Pretty much a done deal for the upstate(NW SC) and NeGa. Travelers Rest area may do well as usual. I would even say it's not an I85 storm it's more like HWY11 storm. Landrum, TR, Ceasars head..act. But hey its early December I will be happy with a decent duration of sleet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

To be expected with this type of setup. Classic southern snowstorm with the battle lines drawn 15-30 miles on either side of I85.

I’m about 14 miles away, as a crow flies. So, I’m at least at the lower end of that range. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a snowstorm that doesn’t have a warm nose from the CLT Metro to the Triangle? Unfortunately, that is our climatology.

4 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Pretty much a done deal for the upstate(NW SC) and NeGa. Travelers Rest area may do well as usual. I would even say it's not an I85 storm it's more like HWY11 storm. Landrum, TR, Ceasars head..act. But hey its early December I will be happy with a decent duration of sleet.

Well if the NAM is right we are absolutely getting crippled with ZR as much as 1.7 inches in places. So at this point we better hope we can escape with a bunch of sleet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

I sure hope it's more ip/sn than zr  :yikes:    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Could definitely see this being a situation in CLT where Davidson/Mooresville see double digits, Huntersville gets 5”, an inch or two at carowinds and freezing rain once you get to Dave Lyle Blvd in RH.

Yeah, the difference between Kings Mountain and Casar in Cleveland County is going to be interesting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Could definitely see this being a situation in CLT where Davidson/Mooresville see double digits, Huntersville gets 5”, an inch or two at carowinds and freezing rain once you get to Dave Lyle Blvd in RH.

I hope so, l didn't move from Charlotte to Mooresville for nothing! lol. 

It always seems to line up that way. With today's trends I'm doubting a bit even Mooresville sees that much.  That low keeps getting amped and coming tick by tick north.  Eventually I think even Mooresville is a sleetfest. 

9 minutes ago, HKY1894 said:

From the ncep maps for FV3 looks like the northern stream closed low drops decent snow on monday. QPF over 2 inches across most of state storm total

Can you please provide  link for this?  I'm coming up blanks looking for it.

Thanks!

Mike Dross (‪@MikeWDross‬)

12/6/18, 14:52

‪@AlConklin‬ Yep. It gets started /w deterministic snowfall maps from GFS/ECMWF that are flawed to begin with, not to mention 5+ days out. By the time we get into the mesoscale model time frame (when we actually know what's likely), public already going off flawed/inferior/old model data.

+100

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• jburns unpinned this topic