• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

I can speak from a couple instances up my way this year when CAD was overdone so just a word of caution when investing all your feelings in a final solution, with one especially being close to 60 hours away. I had a winter storm warning this year for a 1/2” of ice. Cloud cover moved in and we were able to get down to 32 but by that time it was already raining heavily. They were forecasting 30. Meanwhile @Disc over about 20 miles to my west was 29 and heavy ice in the mountains of Blacksburg. Just play the cards you are dealt. There will be plenty more this year for all of us worst case scenario.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Tim Buckley:  For those asking, the ground temperature in Greensboro is 41°. It will be a non-factor this weekend.

We had a nice hard freeze this morning here with a low of 23 and a heavy frost. Soil and sun are two non-issues for this event. 

very concerning that the 6z nam has already switched from the initial snow from yesterday's run for clt to immediate rain and sleet.  i have seen this happen before and would not shock me to see the warm nose trend warmer as we get closer to saturday night. not good signs at all if you love snow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I can’t believe I woke up and the storm is still showing up - even more so that there is still quite a bit of consistency lol.  The thing that strikes me for ne ga and the upstate, st least, is the snow amounts with a CAD.  We may get a front end thump of snow but for the most part CADs here are not deep enough for snow but mostly ice. Even if we do get snow most big storms of this set up usually mix with or change to sleet then freezing rain. If the “second” shot moves through as snow on top of ice that would be a sight to see for sure

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

very concerning that the 6z nam has already switched from the initial snow from yesterday's run for clt to immediate rain and sleet.  i have seen this happen before and would not shock me to see the warm nose trend warmer as we get closer to saturday night. not good signs at all if you love snow.

I think 485 is going to be the dividing line, again. Maybe up to 73. 

2 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

But overall it's more of a monster winter storm look because of the colder surface temps. Major ice storm down through central SC.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

I have never seen GSP put out a map this bullish 3-4 days out. Heck, I'm not even sure the wave has been properly sampled yet. Rest assured this is a warning shot. These totals WILL go up for the mountains. 

I have seen it a few times but not often.  Nice thing is they aren’t pressured in a news room environment so they can put out what models show (conservatively still).  Difference here is normally we don’t have so much model agreement so early.  The storms normally gone until the day before.  GSP is always on top of storms though and not afraid to show the possibilities.  Always big kudos to them. 

5 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

how far north does the warm nose get?

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

It been is just hard for me to ignore the consistency and agreement with the various models. I know what has happened in the past, but we also don't usually have this ml uch consistency and agreement with the models. They would all have to be wrong or start to do a complete 180 now.

Its a good point Brick. However; remember that the models are forecast *guidance* and not an absolute representation of reality. And we have seen them be very wrong many times, as recently as last year. I hope we both get a foot though! Cheers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

It been is just hard for me to ignore the consistency and agreement with the various models. I know what has happened in the past, but we also don't usually have this much consistency and agreement with the models. They would all have to be wrong or start to do a complete 180 now.

They would have to do a complete 180 for what to happen?  All rain?  Not sure anyone is calling for that.  It’s hard for me to believe that you have been following the weather for as long as you have and have as much faith in 5 day snow maps as you do, regardless of their consistency.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

It been is just hard for me to ignore the consistency and agreement with the various models. I know what has happened in the past, but we also don't usually have this much consistency and agreement with the models. They would all have to be wrong or start to do a complete 180 now.

models will be consistently wrong if they don't have the warm nose modeled correctly. we have seen this time and time again. 

• Like 4

Checking in from Baltimore, gave up on this up here 24 hours ago. I have in-laws in Brevard and a daughter in Greensboro, so will live it through them and you all. Good luck, the ensemble agreement for your area is a stunner. The big ones often lock in early, and it appears to have been that way for you guys. Hope you all get across the finish line with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

Checking in from Baltimore, gave up on this up here 24 hours ago. I have in-laws in Brevard and a daughter in Greensboro, so will live it through them and you all. Good luck, the ensemble agreement for your area is a stunner. The big ones often lock in early, and it appears to have been that way for you guys. Hope you all get across the finish line with it.

Thanks!  As you can tell, it's a nervous forum down here as we have had the rug pulled out from under us too many times!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

They would have to do a complete 180 for what to happen?  All rain?  Not sure anyone is calling for that.  It’s hard for me to believe that you have been following the weather for as long as you have and have as much faith in 5 day snow maps as you do, regardless of their consistency.

3 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

models will be consistently wrong if they don't have the warm nose modeled correctly. we have seen this time and time again. 

Okay, so where is the info that shows they could be wrong? What is the other info that RAH is basing their forecast on right now? What other data are they using besides the fact storms as big as the models are showing are rare here?

• jburns unpinned this topic