• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

Agreed...it's been super juicy...but all things considered...it's gonna be some great totals up here and we had about 4 with today's thump of snow

I was making a jab at a guy that use to be on the forums several years “WilkesboroDude” that got the boot for being a drama queen and he’s known for saying the skies hadn’t healed enough to get a lot of precip.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cornsnow said:

Most storms are are right? Or it seems that way. I have some friends up on the top side of Mooresville.... up above HWY 150.  Think it would be better up that way for snow?

I mean, you hear that a lot, regarding Charlotte being on the transition line, but we've had plenty of good snows over the years here as well...but no doubt it's more difficult here.  For this storm, I just think we are going to continue to see changes, so it's still a long ways out to really get into the specifics

1 minute ago, griteater said:

I mean, you hear that a lot, regarding Charlotte being on the transition line, but we've had plenty of good snows over the years here as well...but no doubt it's more difficult here.  For this storm, I just think we are going to continue to see changes, so it's still a long ways out to really get into the specifics

Yep. Also a lot of moving parts. The good news is the big models are still holding serve so people should be using that as a guide not an exact map. The players we want are there, now it's just going to be how they all align. 

Just now, griteater said:

Grit, 

I CANNOT REMEMBER the last time we scored BIG with a Miller A type system here in the Charlotte region. I mean...we have seen the run of the mill 3-6" snows, with ip and zr mixed in, but I cannot remember when we have been bullseyed with more than a few inches. I guess this is more of a question on if we have any records where we have really done well with a Miller A setup?  I am not being a weenie (well...maybe a little. HAHAHA) as this is sincerely more of a curious question, rather than "I am worried". IT SUCKS because seeing all these ONCE IN A LIFETIME MODEL RUNS that show EPIC SNOWS FOR MY BACKYARD is tough to hold my excitement in check. If anyone tells otherwise, they are lying. LMAO! 

4 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Grit, 

I CANNOT REMEMBER the last time we scored BIG with a Miller A type system here in the Charlotte region. I mean...we have seen the run of the mill 3-6" snows, with ip and zr mixed in, but I cannot remember when we have been bullseyed with more than a few inches. I guess this is more of a question on if we have any records where we have really done well with a Miller A setup?  I am not being a weenie (well...maybe a little. HAHAHA) as this is sincerely more of a curious question, rather than "I am worried". IT SUCKS because seeing all these ONCE IN A LIFETIME MODEL RUNS that show EPIC SNOWS FOR MY BACKYARD is tough to hold my excitement in check. If anyone tells otherwise, they are lying. LMAO! 

This to me isn't your standard Miller A it's taking that track but it's more a big overrunning event taking a Miller A track...but maybe I'm wrong with that. If this follows the models like GSP said it's historic. That's the thing about making history, there's nothing to really compare it to. 

5 minutes ago, CyclonicFury said:

This is slowly trending from what appeared to be a near miss to a potential major snowfall for RDU. But will a warm nose appear is the question. 

The latest FV3 keeps temperatures below freezing here all day Sunday with no changeover to rain. 

Today was a good day on the models for RDU but like Grit, I believe there will be more changes to come.  We have a lot more model runs to go...LOL!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Yep. Also a lot of moving parts. The good news is the big models are still holding serve so people should be using that as a guide not an exact map. The players we want are there, now it's just going to be how they all align. 

IceBURG, 

I posted a question earlier, which I am wondering what your take would be. Do you recall or have seen where the Charlotte area has TRULY cashed in on a Miller A type of storm? I mean...sure, we have received the 3-6" with ip and zr also mixed from these systems, but have we TRULY scored lets say...12-16" (for example) from these types of setups? Or has anyone else in the carolinas scored (excluding the Mountain Regions)? Thanks and oh...I tagged you on FB about the Cantore Curse. He has touched down in CLT. I HOPE he is not planning on staying here. UGH...LMAO

3 minutes ago, burgertime said:

This to me isn't your standard Miller A it's taking that track but it's more a big overrunning event taking a Miller A track...but maybe I'm wrong with that. If this follows the models like GSP said it's historic. That's the thing about making history, there's nothing to really compare it to. 

Thanks man! Wow...you answered my question to Grit and I had decided to pose this question to you as well. Pretty cool. Anyways, what do you think about the question on if we have ever scored BIG on any Miller A's (excluding the Mountains). I used the 12"+ as criteria. I am only asking, so I can see if we can find any data to correlate to this system. Thanks again man. I sure wish you were here. 

5 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

IceBURG, 

I posted a question earlier, which I am wondering what your take would be. Do you recall or have seen where the Charlotte area has TRULY cashed in on a Miller A type of storm? I mean...sure, we have received the 3-6" with ip and zr also mixed from these systems, but have we TRULY scored lets say...12-16" (for example) from these types of setups? Or has anyone else in the carolinas scored (excluding the Mountain Regions)? Thanks and oh...I tagged you on FB about the Cantore Curse. He has touched down in CLT. I HOPE he is not planning on staying here. UGH...LMAO

I answered above. We do have somethings going against. Climo being one...but like alot of storms in your neck of the woods you gotta look at the models and roll the dice. The setup is what you want. Lots of moisture and a good enough cold air feed. Like I said this feels less like a true Miller A where it really bombs out on the coast and more like a slider that takes a Miller A track...again if that makes sense. Maybe I'm wrong though about that assessment. I still am a bit sceptical on totals but even if you slice them in half it's still a significant possibly historic storm. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, griteater said:

If you are in to southern sliders, the Euro delivers.  Precip shield was a little south this run...and the big northern stream wave is diving in hard now on the backside

I'm a little confused how TN doesn't get more out of this system with the look on the Euro tonight. I figured they would be the max on this run. 

• jburns unpinned this topic