• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

So the 18z Euro is now in, but it only goes out to hr90...and it has improvements for the southern participants of the subforum

It's stronger and farther southwest with the shortwave rolling thru the Great Lakes and feeding into the 50/50 low over the northeast states, and the confluent flow over the NE is a touch stronger thru the run.  Meanwhile, the backside wave looks like it would drop into the trough a little more than the 12z run (just guessing based on the look).  

At the end of the run at hr90, it has heavy precip in N GA with the sfc freezing line past Lake Lanier into NE side of Atlanta, and snow is breaking out in central and western NC into the NE upstate

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Just now, Wow said:

Not since Dec '89

The models are really going against all climatology here. It would be a super rare event if it occurs. I am still tempering my excitement. Still plenty of time for the to collapse in our faces. Hopefully we will be sampling the energy here tomorrow. Still hard for me to think an amped up storm like this will not have huge issues with WAA like always.

• Like 2

Just now, griteater said:

So the 18z Euro is now in, but it only goes out to hr90...and it has improvements for the southern participants of the subforum

It's stronger and farther southwest with the shortwave rolling thru the Great Lakes and feeding into the 50/50 low over the northeast states, and the confluent flow over the NE is a touch stronger thru the run.  Meanwhile, the backside wave looks like it would drop into the trough a little more than the 12z run (just guessing based on the look).  

At the end of the run at hr90, it has heavy precip in N GA with the sfc freezing line past Lake Lanier into NE side of Atlanta, and snow is breaking out in central and western NC into the NE upstate

"Southern participants"

Bring on 0z!

• Like 1

Just now, Cornsnow said:

The models are really going against all climatology here. It would be a super rare event if it occurs. I am still tempering my excitement. Still plenty of time for the to collapse in our faces. Hopefully we will be sampling the energy here tomorrow. Still hard for me to think an amped up storm like this will not have huge issues with WAA like always.

Let's ignore climo and enjoy this LATE FALL snow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

Just out of curiosity grit, where are you getting the 18z version?

4 minutes ago, Cornsnow said:

We also saw a hurricane do something that has never been done before with Florence. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

I think me,@SteveVa and[mention=14849]SENC[/mention] are on the outside looking in on this one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could definitely see a front-end slushy inch or so for ORF and ECG. Something like the 18z FV3 depicts. There is also a possibility of frozen precip for our area on the back side, but models are still all over the place after the low pops into the Atlantic. AKQ is, unsurprisingly, fairly conservative and calls for all rain. 

• Like 1

I could definitely see a front-end slushy inch or so for ORF and ECG. Something like the 18z FV3 depicts. There is also a possibility of frozen precip for our area on the back side, but models are still all over the place after the low pops into the Atlantic. AKQ is, unsurprisingly, fairly conservative and calls for all rain. 

They’re normally quite conservative, at least if my memory serves me.

7 minutes ago, Cornsnow said:

Yep, has the Charlotte area ever seen this amount of winter weather being shown....? Not time for this here. 

1 minute ago, tramadoc said:

They’re normally quite conservative, at least if my memory serves me.

Yup, just like most offices in the SE when it comes to winter weather. I was surprised to see that the NWS GSP map was legit, would never expect AKQ crew to do the same 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, +nao said:

Yep, has the Charlotte area ever seen this amount of winter weather being shown....? Not time for this here. 

Yes I can remember 12 or 13 back in 2004. I have seen 8+ in my area in Mooresville. It could certainly verify. I would be shocked if it turns out to be a 12+ inches. Still plenty of times for the models to start a northerly trend over the next 24-36 hours.