Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

1 minute ago, beanskip said:

Interesting -- 850 temps LESS impressive, but dewpoints, surface temps colder. Sounds like an icy setup to this old coot. 

Yeah, the dewpoints keep dropping even with precip falling. Maybe that happens, but it would stand to reason that temps would soon follow within the next frame or two. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sarcean said:

Every model is saying RAH is being too conservative, this storm is REALLY going to catch some people by surprise. Guess they don't care about calling it safe since the event is on a weekend? 

IDK, The Weather Channel has been all in for a while, that usually gets the hype machine rolling

Just now, beanskip said:

Interesting -- 850 temps LESS impressive, but dewpoints, surface temps colder. Sounds like an icy setup to this old coot. 

after a ho hum run this morning,  this run is pretty scary looking for northeast ga in terms of ice potential. 925mb temps plummet by sat evening....on the order -4 to 5c... with surface temps dropping below freezing by midnight or so,,,even down to the northeast burbs of atlanta with a lot of precip left to go. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Def agreed. My money would be somewhere between Concord and Charlotte is where that sleet/snow line sets and then probably between Rock Hill and CLT is the sleet/rain line. That's usually where it always sets up there. Whoever is on the sleet side of the snow sleet line is going to have a long weekend. 

Regardless of systems and setup you can draw a line over to Gastonia, Patterson springs, Shelby, souther rutherford county (over just south of HWY 74). The battle is real round here. 

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

after a ho hum run this morning,  this run is pretty scary looking for northeast ga in terms of ice potential. 925mb temps plummet by sat evening....on the order -4 to 5c... with surface temps dropping below freezing by midnight or so,,,even down to the northeast burbs of atlanta with a lot of precip left to go. 

This is what I was worried about earlier with the 12z runs. Someone is going to get a bad ice storm out of this. This looks like a strong CAD setup on the models...with a lot of moisture so someone will get the brunt of this in a bad way. 

4 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I think there will be major ice down to areas NE of ATL.  I’m not sure if it makes it into the Metro at all.  Especially given it would have to occur mid way through the event.  Most icing events in ATL are from the start of the precip or not at all

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I'm getting pretty dang excited here. Keeping my expectations tempered that the upstate will undoubtedly be sleet for the majority of the storm, I'm going to say any snowfall accumulation will be a bonus in my book.  The sleet may really pile up though as I expect us to go from 33/34 Saturday evening quickly down in to the upper 20's as the heaviest precip moves in.

Get your popcorn ready for the 18z NAM, i'm betting it's going to be a doozy. 

The latest discussion from the GSP NWS...they are still being extremely cautious.

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think there will be major ice down to areas NE of ATL.  I’m not sure if it makes it into the Metro at all.  Especially given it would have to occur mid way through the event.  Most icing events in ATL are from the start of the precip or not at all

Question: Does Atlanta's higher elevation assist at all with wintry precip in these kinds of setups? Or is it a moot point?