Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

The jump north with the SLP at 126 on the FV3 is a killer for central and eastern NC, it it just kept ENE from the hr 120 plot the totals from RDU down my way etc would be much higher....

Been seeing a lot of members on ensembles for the last few days showing that swath out toward Greenville nc. I'm guessing an OP will show one sometime overnight or tomorrow. 

Just now, Thor said:

Been seeing a lot of members on ensembles for the last few days showing that swath out toward Greenville nc. I'm guessing an OP will show one sometime overnight or tomorrow. 

The one good thing is this thing cant really bust for me.....I would be sweating bullets if I was in the spots showing 12-24" every run.....we had a similar storm forecast down here a few years back, run after run of the Euro and GFS giving us 12-20" in central and eastern NC on the clown maps.....ended up with 3" of sleet......better to expect rain or a slushy 1-2" and get a foot than think your getting the big dog and ending up with tons of sleet.

Seriously though if the cold can trend stronger the track should trend flatter and then snow totals would climb in central and eastern NC.....seeing some signs of that on the NAMS etc but still several days to go to hash it out. 

• Like 4

I’ll be chasing as well most likely, assuming I can get back home Monday. We usually take the Jeep and ride out a storm in the mountains every year or two. Driving up from Alabama. Would like to stay as close to home as possible so currently thinking about the Waynesville area. Went to Banner Elk last time and although awesome that’s another couple of hours on the drive. Anyone have any other location recommendations? 

5 minutes ago, Poimen said:

FV 3 Kuchera through 0Z Mon.

fv3_18_redux.png

Living in the Greenville SC area I also remember maybe 3 years ago we were super close to a modeled huge storm. Gsp even mentioned 12" possible for Greenville. We ended up with maybe an inch of slush after all the cold rain and mixing. Crossing my fingers that this one gives us something decent! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

That's the most realistic map I've seen yet. I-40 north with best chance, Wake gets some fun, upstate gets blanked. Does Vegas take weather bets?:D

That's a 24hr snow map, initializing Tuesday at 2p (so from Monday 2p to Tuesday 2p). By that time, the storm is leaving WNC/Upstate and heading Northeast. That's why it looks the way it does. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bargainmusic said:

16.4"! Bring it on!

8 minutes ago, wxduncan said:

I live just west of Hickory in that bright green spot center in burke lord that would be a lifetime total for me.

Isn’t the FV3 the  new model that took the place of the GFS?

supposed to be the best thing out since sliced bread.