Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

1 hour ago, ILMRoss said:

There's also counties in that dma that are pretty far south of the triad. I think she is being a little conservative but it goes without saying that a full fledged "omg it's going to snow" message would freak people out, and if that forecast is blown less people may watch that station. There is palpable pressure, from the sales department to the news director, to have this right. Before I got into broadcast, I thought, "oh hue hue hue I'm going to be brazen and I'll speak my mind!" but it's *a lot* harder said than done. 

Yeah I need to get new sleds for my kids tomorrow so if she (and the other local mets) could be conservative until tomorrow evening that would be perfect.

13 minutes ago, chapelhillwx said:

Took a personal day and going to be chasing this one Sunday am into Monday. Will be interesting to see where to go. Asheville would be convenient from Atlanta but I’m not sure that’s failsafe. Any ideas guys? Glad to be back on the forum again! 

Somewhere along a line from Charlottesville to Asheville, I am currently looking at the area around Sparta.  Still have to Friday to hammer down specifics. I did order a new snow shovel on Amazon, professional grade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Somewhere along a line from Charlottesville to Asheville, I am currently looking at the area around Sparta.  Still have to Friday to hammer down specifics. I did order a new snow shovel on Amazon, professional grade.

Keep me posted on what you end up deciding. I’m gonna have to do some more research also. 

If I were chasing I would choose fancy gap, hillville, or Wytheville, somewhere that’s still going to get CAD bleeding in but also at elevation. Proximity to I-77 and route 52 or 58 is also critical, interstates and us routes will be plowed first and foremost making sure you don’t get stranded longer than intended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

If I were chasing I would choose fancy gap, hillville, or Wytheville, somewhere that’s still going to get CAD bleeding in but also at elevation. Proximity to I-77 and route 52 or 58 is also critical, interstates and us routes will be plowed first and foremost making sure you don’t get stranded longer than intended.

Agreed. CAD will be well entrenched from Wytheville to the Blacksburg area, as usual. Southern Floyd County also tends to jackpot, but there's not many options to stay in that area. Hillsville would be my location of choice as of right now.

26 minutes ago, chapelhillwx said:

Took a personal day and going to be chasing this one Sunday am into Monday. Will be interesting to see where to go. Asheville would be convenient from Atlanta but I’m not sure that’s failsafe. Any ideas guys? Glad to be back on the forum again! 

I'm looking at Highlands, NC.   Nice town and sits at 4,100 ft.   They should get smoked, closest spot to Atlanta in my opinion.   OF course subject to change

3 minutes ago, WXinCanton said:

I'm looking at Highlands, NC.   Nice town and sits at 4,100 ft.   They should get smoked, closest spot to Atlanta in my opinion.   OF course subject to change

They’ll get smoked but that drive out 64 from 23 is gonna be treacherous once you hit the gorge and head up the mountain. You could go out to/come from  Sky Valley and have less curves but that road might not be plowed as soon as 64.