Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

3 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

absolutely massive warm nose at 126 for kclt.  

It's kind of weird, the system is so slow moving that it is thumping heavy front end gulf precip into the cold-ish air....heavy rising motion on the NW side of the Miller A...and by the time the 850 low approaches and it warms, it has snowed a lot

Just now, griteater said:

It's kind of weird, the system is so slow moving that it is thumping heavy front end gulf precip into the cold-ish air....heavy rising motion on the NW side of the Miller A...and by the time the 850 low approaches and it warms, it has snowed a lot

at 120 with good precip our sounding is razor thin, maybe all snow but likely some sleet mixing. but if we are talking razor thin margins this far out i know which way it will likely trend.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

You can see it here on ewall.

It's hard to beat the ewall 4 panel...I wish other vendors would go to that with the Euro etc.

The 12z UKMet goes big with the phase but still keeps the storm to the south, moving off Jacksonville roughly...similar to GFS really...it's a late, but big phase

• Like 1

1 minute ago, griteater said:

It's hard to beat the ewall 4 panel...I wish other vendors would go to that with the Euro etc.

The 12z UKMet goes big with the phase but still keeps the storm to the south, moving off Jacksonville roughly...similar to GFS really...it's a late, but big phase

J'ville, NC or J'ville FL?

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

Ewall is the best!

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

FL...it may come off a little north of there, but don't have the specifics with the early maps

Hmm, would be interested in seeing the snow totals for that assuming that the cold is there. I know for my self and others in N GA and the upstate a track through northern Florida is what we typically want.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Folks, call me out if I'm wrong,  but I dont see that precip changing to rain towards the end, especially NW sections... that's where the GFS under does the CAD

I agree, it's rare that we (triad) transition to rain, it's usually too sleet/freezing rain in the triad and NW of there.  I'm sure it's happened a transition to rain, but I would expect that would be the very tail end of the storm as modeled.

2 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Looks like maybe GFS is trying to catch up on stronger CAD. Couple runs in a row now where temps have gotten just a bit colder each time. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Looking at the high placement and strength (compared to the previous run) along with the more inland track of the low I would’ve expected lower snow totals in the central part of NC.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, griteater said:

Grit, 

It looks like CLT is in the shaft zone again, but hoping we can at least get some sizeable accumulations before being warm nosed???

20 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Its letting that northern s/w drop into the southern wave. If that trend continues it should amp up more and climb the coast with more cold air pouring into the western part of the board.

Hard to believe that ever since this storm showed up on the models that Cherokee and Graham Counties has been shown to get nothing. 

1 minute ago, Rankin5150 said:

Grit, 

It looks like CLT is in the shaft zone again, but hoping we can at least get some sizeable accumulations before being warm nosed???

Yeah, living on the edge is no good, and there's normally a late north climb.  Ideal scenario is for the NE confluence to increase over time, have the wave trek west to east instead of sliding northeast at the end....and throw in some late phasing

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

Hard to believe that ever since this storm showed up on the models that Cherokee and Graham Counties has been shown to get nothing. 

That can happen with trying to get the cold air from the northeast. You want to root for a quicker phase to get more cold air on the western side.

• Like 2

Allan Huffman @RaleighWx 26m26 minutes ago

Just the 12z GFS, so just a model run assuming 10:1 ratio, not factoring out sleet/freezing rain, which looks to only be an issue on the eastern side of the heavier totals on this map. But here it is. No this is not my forecast, just the 12z GFS. Look at the sharp gradient.

Dtlcj5ZWsAMlOjd.jpg

Just now, griteater said:

Yeah, living on the edge is no good, and there's normally a late north climb.  Ideal scenario is for the NE confluence to increase over time, have the wave trek west to east instead of sliding northeast at the end....and throw in some late phasing

Thanks man! UGH. The usual. When am I gonna learn and just get the heck out of here. The Burgertime Snow Triangle of death is still alive and well. HAHAHA. 

• Like 2