• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

If this southern wave stays disconnected from the northern stream, maintains its strength / amplitude, and treks west to east at a slow pace like this, it's going to be a very impressive storm for wherever it is cold enough

You’re much more knowledgeable than me, is there any storms similar to this at 500mb in the past? 2/04?

19 minutes ago, HKY1894 said:

You’re much more knowledgeable than me, is there any storms similar to this at 500mb in the past? 2/04?

I don't know about that, but appreciate it...things may very well change drastically between now and Saturday, but in terms of tonight's GFS and Euro with the slow closing off wave as it tracked from southern Cali to NC, the 2 big hit examples from the past that come to mind are the 02/04 storm that you mentioned and 02/69 (those were a little colder out front though I'm sure)

• Like 1

157 AM WPC Discussion

Confidence with respect to the southern stream system is relatively good through Sat night as the surface low moves across the Gulf Coast states and model/ensemble solutions are relatively well-clustered. Forecast confidence declines after 12Z Sun as to whether the low pressure system takes a more easterly trek out to sea or northeasterly close to the coast, or perhaps even slows/stalls for a period of time. The eventual outcome seems to hinge largely on interaction with a relatively small-scale northern stream shortwave currently well out over the data sparse North Pacific, evident on water vapor satellite imagery near 31N/175W. This feature will deamplify as it rounds the apex of the western Canada ridge before amplifying once again as it enters cyclonic flow across central Canada Fri-Sat. Some consensus has emerged as to the eventual track of the Southeast U.S. low pressure system after Sun, with some degree of ensemble clustering around a low perhaps 50-75 miles east of the Outer Banks by Mon morning. This should be taken somewhat with a grain of salt, however, given the current location of the critical feature and the complex degree of interaction that will occur with the southern stream system.

As the system shifts eastward Sat into Sun, precipitation will also focus across areas of the Southeast, Tennessee Valley, and perhaps portions of the southern Mid-Atlantic region. Models have shown a persistent signal for a potentially significant winter weather event for portions of the southern Appalachians late Sat into Sun. Depending on the eventual track and intensity of the low pressure system, accumulating snows may also be possible east of the Appalachians from the Carolinas north into the southern Mid-Atlantic states, although confidence in this aspect of the forecast remains relatively low.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

00z EPS Mean jogged south this run...matches the idea of the Op run.  Should be improved members in there for NC into parts of the upstate.  It was a little better with the confluence over the NE and the wave came thru the SW states at a slightly lower latitude

I'm still holding on to hope here in Oconee. Eps hasnt waivered much from an I85 special. Preciate your analysis and pbpk Grit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1