• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

I equate this experience to watching Tiger Woods tee off on the 1st hole in the Masters on day 1 and having everyone (us) scream "Baba Booey!!!" as loud as we can.  Meanwhile Tiger just snap hooked the ball into the trees about 200 yards down the fairway.

Moral of the story.....no amount of screaming and enthusiastic support could have made that ball go straight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18z GFS is interesting. GFS has the shortwave landfalling in Cali as a much sharper wave... the orientation is a lot different. I included the trend.  I reckon this is what eventually tugged the entire system to the N. 18z output sucked, even for me, but how on earth is the GFS going to make such a large change to the shortwave over one of the most under-sampled regions? I'm not tossing the 18z GFS but I'm not putting much stock in it either.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh90_trend.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ILMRoss said:

18z GFS is interesting. GFS has the shortwave landfalling in Cali as a much sharper wave... the orientation is a lot different. I included the trend.  I reckon this is what eventually tugged the entire system to the N. 18z output sucked, even for me, but how on earth is the GFS going to make such a large change to the shortwave over one of the most under-sampled regions? I'm not tossing the 18z GFS but I'm not putting much stock in it either.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh90_trend.gif

Also, the push over Maine is further SW, on the last image, should be better cold press?

7 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

FV3 GFS brings the Hammer!! Wow!!

fv3p_asnow_neus_31.png

Not sure how that map is generated, but there really shouldn't be much if any snow outside of the western/northern piedmont (aside from some at the beginning), based off a quick glance of the modeled 850 temps. 

2 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Not sure how that map is generated, but there really shouldn't be much if any snow outside of the western/northern piedmont (aside from some at the beginning), based off a quick glance of the modeled 850 temps. 

It was mentioned in the Tennessee Valley thread the other day, but the TT formula is off for the FV3. If you compare the snow total map to other sites it is significantly increased on TT for some reason.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

But I want the noise ringing from Hattiesburg to Myrtle Beach at this time range! :)

No wiggle room

Check this out, I like the grouping of lows beginning to cluster around the southern Mississippi/ Georgia border. Then look at the next frame, cluster appears to have moved due east. Perhaps this may imply a track closer to the gulf?

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_fh126_trend.gif

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_fh132_trend.gif

1 hour ago, SnowDawg said:

Just can’t never get a high to lock in throughout a storm anymore... Always rocketing off the coast as soon as the precip arrives.

You can thank the NAO and its positive state for the better part of a decade for that. People blow it off and say the PNA is more important. Truth is they are equally important. The PNA delivers the cold but the NAO slows it down and locks it in. Without it you're trying to get the low and high to run in tandem and well, you know that fails 9 out of 10 times.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Disco Lemonade said:

Check this out, I like the grouping of lows beginning to cluster around the southern Mississippi/ Georgia border. Then look at the next frame, cluster appears to have moved due east. Perhaps this may imply a track closer to the gulf?

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_fh126_trend.gif

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_fh132_trend.gif

The issue is surface lows don't run in a straight line. They jump contingent on upper level forcing and dynamics. My guess is we see a weak SFC low reflection over southern Ms valley, then near mid ga, then eventually offshore. Not a true Miller a or b. This usually means snow in the nw mtns, snow to ice in the foothills and northern nc, snow to ice to rain elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BornAgain13 said:

GEFS increases again, especially NW NC, SW & Central VA.

Comparison of 12z & 18z

GEFSUS_prec_meansnacc_204.png

GEFSUS_prec_meansnacc_198.png

How in the hell is the ensembles giving me a dusting? The NW trend is obvious so I'm going to bet on me getting cold rain unless the trend reverses. It was fun while it lasted, and truth be told I'm surprised I made it this long

#stormdone

10 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

How in the hell is the ensembles giving me a dusting? The NW trend is obvious so I'm going to bet on me getting cold rain unless the trend reverses. It was fun while it lasted, and truth be told I'm surprised I made it this long

#stormdone

Now you're being realistic! Hell I'm in the extreme nw corner of SC and I have one foot over the cliff.

• Like 2