Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

54 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

At this long lead, I wonder why the NWS doesn't lean more heavily on ensembles.  They seem to base their forecast on guidance from operational models in their discussion. 

I've wondered the same. Seems pro Mets preach ensembles but hug and flip flop with op runs. I think they go with the warmest least snowy regardless if its the ensembles or the ops. Smart call most likely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steven_1974 said:

Where do you find all the panels for the various solutions these models spit out, where say it shows 20 of 40 members with snowfall in them?

WxBell has the Euro Ens members. 

You can get the GFS Ens members here https://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

Go to GEFS tab at the top > Precipitation Products on the left > Ensemble Snow Acc - then use sliding button to scroll thru the images (you can choose different regions on the left too - U.S. / Southeast, etc.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, griteater said:

18z GFS - wave coming in a bit farther south, into baja.  Slightly better cold press out front out to 93

Grit, I feel like the gfs is notorious for burying these lows ungodly amounts only to correct toward the end. Not saying this will happen here but it is highly suspect to me. On the flip side, the gfs usually is underdone with cad and high pressure systems to the north. Catch 22 right now what to believe with the soon to be phased out gfs.

• Like 1

Oh well, no worries we'll get ours in central NC this winter. Good thing it's still early. I think this will do well in the NC mountains, possibly a snow to rain situation as the low get worked up off the coast. Then as it pulls away I'd bet we see some flurries through the ped and sandhills... which lets be honest would be a huge win, more then I saw during the entire 2011-12 winter.

23 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The GFS has been jumping around quite a bit. Give it a couple runs and see if it jumps back south again. Unless you live in SC, in which case you shouldn't have had hope in the first place TBH.

Are you just now getting to this ball game?take a look at the FV3 and Euro yesterday.